Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too strange?

I prefer Raymond. A friend of mine is planning on using it to honor family.

I think like Arthur, Atticus, Raymond may be the next name to be nerdy grandpa cool.

I think Raymond is a strong grounded name and I like the meaning.

I love Ray, and Rayner is nice too.
    What's the pronunciation difference between Ray-ner and Rain-er? I pronounce Rain the same as "ray" but with an n at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    I love Ray, and Rayner is nice too.
    What's the pronunciation difference between Ray-ner and Rain-er? I pronounce Rain the same as "ray" but with an n at the end.
    The difference in pronunciation is because Rainer is a German variant of Rayner. It is technically said RYE-ner. I am super excited because my husband said he could see Rainer pronounced Rain-er growing on him :-D. And I just realized that the name honors my mother too because her childhood nickname was Rainy. It doesn't really bother me that we would technically be pronouncing it wrong because in English "ai" doesn't usually make a long i sound so everyone would see Rain-er either way. Rayner just doesn't look as nice at all.

To the poster who said it sound made up and trendy, that's a bit what I was worried about but the more I think about the more I feel like it fits in with names like that without exactly belonging to that group. Where I live I think a Rainer would fit in better than Raymond (although I still adore Raymond) and I'm becoming really attached to Ray, which I think would fit in fine too. Plus, it is a real name with a long history of use.

Any more thoughts are welcome. What image do you get of a boy named Rainer? Is it okay that I'm not using the original pronunciation for this spelling?

I prefer Raymond, but if you were to use Rainer and pronounce it like Rayner, I'd try to pronounce it "Rye-ner" and when I found out it was supposed to be pronounced differently, I'd assume the parents read it somewhere, didn't know the pronunciation, and weren't capable of looking it up before they chose their own made-up pronunciation for their son.

Then again, lots of names eventually end up with an English/foreign pronunciation and become widely used in English speaking countries, so most people might find it ok.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I prefer Raymond with nn Ray.