Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Honoring Grandmothers with not so "attractive" names

I've been thinking a lot about "honoring" family members a lot recently, and I'd really like to find some way to honor one or both of my grandmothers in the ( very unlikely) event that I have a daughter of my own. The problem is that my Grandmothers' names are not my taste. At all. I love so many of my other ancestors names (Isabel, Josephine, Eliza, Cora, Anna, Caroline) but I have no personal connection to them. Whereas I knew/know both my grandmothers and love them dearly but I can't seem to warm up to their names. I think I need a pair of fresh eyes looking at them and maybe see someway I could "represent" their names without actually using them.

I would probably only use these names as middle names because I probably won't fall head over heals for them, but you never know.

My maternal grandmother is Rita Marie. I think Rita is a fine name just NMS and Marie is nice but just too common a middle name. I thought about Margaret but as it turns out I have a cousin already named Margaret "Maggie". My grandma is Polish so I was thinking maybe something Polish (without being too ethnic) or a name thats close to "Rita" without having Rita in it.

My paternal grandmother is Darl. Middle name starts with an L but I don't know what it stands for, probably Louise/Louisa since that was her grandmother's name but I don't know for sure. She died when I was four. I loved her very much and I was crushed. I would really like to find a way to honor her but I don't like the name Darl. When my younger cousin was born my aunt honored her by using one of my grandmother's mother's middle names (Amanda) which was a name my grandmother wanted to use for a daughter but never got to. My great-grandmother's other middle name was Sophia which I like but is too popular and I don't know if my grandmother liked it as much as Amanda.

Again, I love some of their mother's and grandmother's names but I feel like that's not good enough. If I ever have a daughter and she wants to know where she got her name I want to be able to tell her all about the person she's named for. Not just when she was born and when she died but what she was like as a person and I can't do that with a great grandmother's name. Sorry, I'm a sentimental teenager.

Any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by violetgray; May 9th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Loves: Jack, Oliver, Leo & Finn <3

I totally get that. I think Rita and Marie both are lovely names. What about some versions of the names?

Rita: Marguerite, Margot, Mared, Maisie, Marzena (Polish!), Marketa, Greta, Mairead, Gretchen.

Marie: Maria, Marian, Marianne, Marion, Mariel, Mariette, Marika (Polish!), Marzena (again), Maja.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

I saw Rita Marie and immediately thought Ruby. It's a soundalike that actually works.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Daryl for a girl (as in Darryl Hannah) is a definite possibility! Other "Dar" names - Dara, Daralyn, Darci, Daria, Darya. You could also shoot for a name that reflects the town or county or country of her birth/origin, or even go with Darling as a middle name. So sweet and with a great family story to back it up.

Rita means either Pearl or Pear. Other names that mean Pearl include Margaret and all its many many variations - there's also Jumana, or Pearl itself or Perla...........

Rita Marie combined together as a middle name has a great rhythm. Darya Rita Marie __________ or Perla Darling ____________.