Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which spelling or variation to you prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryphon

0 0%
  • Griffon

0 0%
  • Griffin

25 86.21%
  • Griffith

4 13.79%
  • Other/See comments.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Griffin and its variants.

Ok. So I love the name Griffin. I am still desperately trying to get hubby on board. So far no luck, but I am gonna keep trying.

The reasons why I love Griffin:
    1. I love names/words from mythology, and the Griffin is one of the most interesting mythological beasts in my opinion.
    2. I love the nickname Griff, and I like the nickname Finn.
    3. Griffin and Luther sound awesome together.
    4. Although I am not normally a huge fan of surnames as first names, this is one that I do love. Luther has origins as a German surname, which honors my hubby's family. Griffin is a common surname in Ireland (correct me if I am wrong) and honors my family.
    5. Not overly popular, but not unheard of either.

The reasons why hubby seems to be hesitant:
    1. Reminds him of Peter Griffin, The Family Guy. This is a drawback for me too.
    2. "Too Harry Potter" because of Gryffindor. Considering that we both really enjoy Harry Potter, I don't understand why this is an issue.

That being said, I am interesting in learning your opinions on Griffin. I know there have been threads in the past in regards to it, and I have always enjoyed reading them. I am also curious which spelling or variation you prefer?

Griffin? Griffith? Gryphon? Griffon? etc
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

I like the spunky Griffin as well as the Welsh version of Griffith. I'm not crazy about the other spellings. Gryphon may be mispronounced with "gripe" in the beginning and there is a toy dog breed called the Brussels Griffon.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I LOVE the name Griffin so much, and it does sound awesome with Luther. Luther and Griffin are a gorgeous sibset. BOOO on the Peter Griffin thing. I had never even thought of that before. I prefer Griffin for the spelling, but if it would help negate the Family Guy thing, then I would go with Gryphon.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

P.S. I don't like Luther and Griffith nearly as well as Luther and Griffin.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Griffon for me.

Griffith - surname of a rather creepy Biology teacher I used to have, so I cannot view it in a positive light.
    Gryphon - I want to say GRAI-phon instead of GRIH-phon.
    Griffon - a type of dog.

I think it goes really well with Luther btw.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan