Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nathaniels...

Hybrid View

Nathaniels...

Today I was talking to a friend of mine and we were discussing names for children. I'd told him I already had my names picked out, so he asked me what they were.
    As soon as I mentioned Nathaniel, he responded with: "No, no, no, noooooo. Don't name your son Nathaniel. Don't do it."

I asked him why, and explained why I loved it so much, and he told me that every Nathaniel he'd met or heard of had been - in a nice way to say it, a wimp/punk. He then mentioned three Nathaniels that he'd known over the years, and I unfortunately couldn't argue against it because I know of a Nathaniel who was a bully yet turned out to be cowardly.

I'm very curious to the personalities of other Nathaniels people have met, or known. Any other personality profiles that match? Or that differ?

I'm actually really tempted to cross Nathaniel off my list because of the high occurrence of negative personalities that seem to follow the name. Which would suck because I seriously adore the name, the look, the sound, the nicknames, the meaning, everything.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

I only know one Nathaniel and he is lovely! Down to earth, trustworthy and really genuine guy

I understand about associating personalities with names, I have never met a Benjamin/Ben who wasn't full of themselves or pigheaded but that doesn't mean that there aren't Ben's out there who are genuine and great guys!
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

I don't know any Nathaniels. But these are some men I don't believe were (are) punks who bore the name:
    Nathaniel Hawthorne - author of The Scarlett Letter, The Blithedale Romance, The House of the Seven Gables.
    Nathaniel Lord Britton - botanist who founded the beautiful New York Botanical Gardens.
    Nathaniel Parker - gorgeous English actor.
    Nathaniel Ayers - the musician the movie The Soloist is based on.

Then there's the fictinal one...
    Nathaniel in The Last of the Mohicans.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Erm, I've met several Nathaniels, none of which seemed to have that image! I know there was a Nathaniel who went to school with one of my sisters--I never really knew him terribly well, but he seemed kind, respectful, a bit shy, but he genuinely seemed to be a nice kid.

The Nathaniel that sticks with me the most, though, is a regular who came into the Taco Bell I worked at a couple months ago. I don't know, it's not like he was that talkative, so I don't know him amazingly well, but he seemed like a good guy. Always determined to overcome obstacles, capable, gentlemanly. He's deaf, he has cochlear implants, and he's just overcome a lot, so I respect him for that alone. He is a nice guy. Or he was, three months ago before I got my new job. I couldn't say if he's changed or not.

I think it's funny that that's your assumption, or your friend's, because all the Nathaniels I've known have been really great guys.

The only Nathaniel I know was a jerk. Not really a nice guy at all. However, Nathaniel is an awesome name. Don't let other people's issues with names stop you from using a name you love.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014