Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toddler bed?

We moved him into a twin bed at 22 months. He hated his crib and we coslept before that but the twin has been amazing. He has been sleeping in it for almost a year now. His bed is against the wall and I do keep a pillow on the floor just in case, but he has never fallen out of bed (knock on wood). We haven't had an issue with him wandering around at night. Our bedrooms are upstairs and we keep a baby gate at the top of the stairs and we keep his door cracked. So, when he wakes in the morning around 7, he usually comes into our bedroom for some snuggles before we all get up (which is awoesome, it is lovely to wake up to toddler kisses and a little boy saying "missed you, mama, mornin'!). Otherwise, he plays with his cars or reads his books for a little bit. Is a baby gate an option to keep her in a safe part of the house? The pool noodle and mattress on the floor suggestions are great.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3

Quote Originally Posted by lovewn View Post
    I got my son a toddler bed when he was about 18-20 months, I don't exactly remember. Before that I had been co-sleeping for a few months because I had to move in with my mom for about six months before my husband and I moved to our home, so my situation might be quite different than yours. Anyway, it has been difficult, but his sleep routine has been easier lately- he's 26 months old now. I kept his door closed and he would get up and fall back asleep with his head against the door then wake up crying but too groggy to move and I was afraid I would hurt him if I pushed the door open. My technique for fixing that issue was to get a monitor and run to his room to put him back in bed as soon as i heard his feet touch the floor. This lead to many sleepless or half asleep nights as I listened anxiously for any movement. But the tactic has worked and now he rarely wakes up and will often stay in bed and cry if he does.
    That definitely makes me want to keep the crib around longer, I know if she knew she had access to the floor at all times, she would test her limits. She usually falls asleep quickly and never wakes up, but she does move around a lot at night. Her falling out seems to be a very likely possibility.

Good news though, she slept in her crib for a nap today with no problem. And is sleeping soundly there now, so I guess we got a slight reprieve on the whole toddler bed issue. Maybe she'll get a toddler bed for her 2nd birthday.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

We're not ready yet (nor do we need to switch) but I was wondering if anyone used those motion-detector mats? Like a baby monitor, if the child gets out of bed the mat transmits a signal to the parents' room.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    We're not ready yet (nor do we need to switch) but I was wondering if anyone used those motion-detector mats? Like a baby monitor, if the child gets out of bed the mat transmits a signal to the parents' room.
    We didn't use a baby monitor at all. Rowan was always right beside me until she was about 5 months old, and then she was in our room in her crib. But with the next baby, I plan on using one... for Rowan. I was just thinking about this the other night... our house is kind of small, and all 3 bedrooms are down the same hallway. When we have a newborn again, I'm going to have to shut Rowan's door tight so the baby won't wake her up. But I still want to check on her, so I'll most likely use a video monitor in her room so I can have peace of mind while the newborn is right beside me all the time again. I slept in the living room on the couch for the first few weeks after she was born, so my husband could sleep in the bedroom and when he woke up around 5, we would trade places. I can definitely see how those motion detecting monitors could be awesome, they would put my mind at ease at least.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Like an Angelcare monitor? We didn't personally use those once our babies started moving around in their sleep but something like that would work.

We moved Henry to a twin bed at 2. Before that, we were lucky enough to never have any problems with him trying to get out of the crib. In the 1.5 years he's been in a twin, he's only fallen out a handful of times. We just pick him up, put him back in bed and he goes back to sleep. In a toddler bed, Rowan would be a lot closer to the ground and if you put a railing up, it would be really hard for her to fall out. You mentioned that when the baby is born, you'll have Rowan's door closed while she's sleeping. Can she open doors on her own? If not, I don't think you'd have to worry about her wandering around the house at night if you moved her to a toddler bed now. Just keep the door shut now and use some type of monitor to tell if she wakes during the night.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly