Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Are these names terrible, or is my mom being difficult?

So, my husband and I have agreed on a few girl names that we love. We plan to go into the delivery with these, and (if the baby is a girl) pick the name when we meet her. My mom hates all the names though, and won't stop suggesting other names. It's driving me crazy, but I'm pretty good at ignoring her when I want. I just want to make sure that these names aren't totally crazy/hippie/weird. I would love to hear if you can think of anything particularly wrong with these names, and which names, if any, you like best.
    Sage- probably our favorite right now
    Tabitha
    Wren
    Callie

Possible alternates:
    Hope
    Joy

The middle name will be Eilonwy (eye-LAWN-wee). She is our very favorite female literary character, and a name we just can't let go. If the flow is really bad, we might use a double middle name to make it work better.
    So what do you think? Are we nuts? We have looked at other girl names, but none of them quite compare for us.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

p.s. The names my mom keeps pushing are Lindee and Emma. Don't know why she has latched onto these, but I'm just not a fan.
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

I don't see anything wrong with the names. They're not really my style, but there's nothing wrong with them. I've never heard Eilonwy before. I really love it! Sage Eilonwy is the best, to me. Tabitha Eilonwy is too long, and sounds too "medieval witch" to me. Callie Eilonwy is too L and "ee" heavy. Wren Eilonwy is too W and N heavy. Sage Eilonwy is just perfect!
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

Thanks elliebellie! I hope you're right!
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by mge28 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the names. They're not really my style, but there's nothing wrong with them. I've never heard Eilonwy before. I really love it! Sage Eilonwy is the best, to me. Tabitha Eilonwy is too long, and sounds too "medieval witch" to me. Callie Eilonwy is too L and "ee" heavy. Wren Eilonwy is too W and N heavy. Sage Eilonwy is just perfect!
    Seconded. Sage Eilonwy is my favorite of your choices too. My next favorite would be Hope. (on their own, I like Callie and Joy- but I don't think they sound well with Eilonwy)

Remind your mom that she got her chance to name her own kid(s) and now it's your turn!
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

My favorites from your list (in order) are:

Sage
    Hope
    Wren

I like your middle name choice also! I don't think that there is anything wrong with your list! I'm sure once she arrives your mom will love whatever name you choose.

Congratulations!