Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names in the same vein as Nora and Anna

I'm expecting a girl in September and my husband and I have started talking names without much to show for it.

We could both live with the following names (except...)
    Nora - but I'm worried it sounds Irish, and neither of us have any Irish background. Also, I wish it were slightly less popular
    Anna - Love it, but many Annas in our lives and she'll have a cousin named Anya
    Eve - Also a good possibility, but I had a recently deceased cat named Eva, and my husband had an ex-girlfriend named Evie
    Hannah - Doesn't work with the last name, which starts with H.

Names my husband likes that I don't
    Zoe - Don't know why I don't like it, but couldn't see using it for my daughter

Names I like but my husband doesn't
    Eleanor - He thinks it sounds too old
    Beatrice - Ditto
    Phoebe
    Linnea
    Flora - Although I'm also not sold on this one. Love the name, not sure how it would wear on an adult
    Naomi and Noema
    Ramona - He hasn't totally vetoed this one

Based on the names my husband doesn't hate, I think we're probably looking for something short and at most two syllables. I'm also hoping to stay away from top 10 names and maybe top 50 or so names.

Thanks for your thoughts

My first thought was Cora. It was on our list till we got a niece named Nora ;-) It also has a nice literary connection with Last of the Mohicans. Good luck!
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

To be honest, I don't think most people realize Nora is a popular Irish name. I really like Nora a lot, and I think of it as a modern classic. Use it if you love it!

Another idea is to go with Annora, which would combine Anna and Nora for you.
    Last edited by kyemsma; May 9th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Ramona is super cute! It's so soft and subtle.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.