Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Katherine, oh why do you taunt me so?

OH's favourite girl name is Katherine, and while it's not top of my list, I do like it. I know I'd be likely to use a nickname with it though, and herein lies my issue.

Problem is, he doesn't like the NNs Kathy or Kath as he thinks they're really old-ladyish, and I'm inclined to agree with him on that.

I like Kate, but I'm not so keen on Katy/Katie as I knew so many growing up, and I think she'd get Katy/Katie more as a child before she gets Kate.

There's Kat, which I don't mind, but does it sound odd next to a one syllable surname that begins in the same hard K sound?

And just how long will it be before Kitty stops being cute and starts sounding silly as a nickname?

Also, with a surname that begins with C, do you think Catherine or Katherine would be the better spelling? And what about with potential brother Charlie?

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Kate/Katie is my nickname (although I'm a Kaitlin), so I have some experience with this

I definitely got Katie more as a child, but that was my mom's intention. She introduced me as Katie, or by my full name, and that's what people called me. I think Katie is sweet, and it's SO much less common than when you (or I) were growing up. Now all the little girls in her class will be Bella or Sophie, and she'll be the only Katie. But if you really want to avoid it, I think introducing her as Katherine or Kate should be enough.

I don't think a one syllable nickname and last name is an issue. How often will she be called Kat C____? In roll call they would probably use her full name. (FWIW, I have a half-sister named Cathryn who goes by Cat, and her surname is one syllable, and it sounds fine -- ETA I also know a C@t Quinn, spelled this way, and I think it's awesome. Sounds like a superhero's name.)

Of course, you also have to take into account that your daughter will probably choose her own preferred nickname at some point which might not be your favorite I think it happens to everyone.

And with a surname that begins with C and a potential brother whose name begins with C, I'd pick the K spelling. As much as I love alliteration, I think two kids with C names gets you stuck in a pattern.
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

I prefer the Katherine spelling. Have you considered the nickname Katya?
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Ooh, I never thought of Katya, it's rather pretty.

And greyer, I'm glad you think Katie isn't as popular now as it used to be, as it is a nice nickname, but it just felt so popular growing up. Popularity doesn't bother me, but I just see Katie as a bit dated to the 90s because of how many I knew that were born then. Although the vast majority were Katy/Katie on BC rather than as a nickname anyway, so Katherine nn Katie isn't quite the same.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I love Catherine! I really prefer the C spelling, but I don't mind K either. I don't think Catherine needs a nickname. However, Kate would be my pick.