Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    This exactly.

The BNGs are played almost exclusively by the <18 set (maybe the <15 set). To them the stories simply sound dramatic and result in lots of babies to name, plus some big life roles to sort out (usually the protagonist manages to get married and land a hot career in the same story). Even though they frequently involve infant or perinatal death, homelessness, rape, abuse, abandonment, heartbreak, and other forms of human ugliness, the plucky heroine pulls through, which is all that matters when you're a sheltered adolescent with incompletely developed empathy.

Stages of life.
    I'm fourteen, and yes, I do visit the name game forums a lot (not that much anymore, but still often). I don't often engage in the ones with a heavy emphasis on stories- I usually just like the CAFs with name banks to find interesting combinations I never would have thought of before and organizing them in a fake family.

But for the ones that aren't just lists of names, I believe they are a form of storytelling. They're a bit like role playing, and it's fine for the people who engage in them. I read a lot of YA, and many of the novels deal with 'adult' and 'disturbing' issues like rape and abandonment- and although most of these are a lot better quality than the name games, both are life- somewhat.

While I doubt that any of these games are inspiring, bad things happen. And while having twelve kids is highly unrealistic, even simple name games can show that you can make it through all the crud that happens in life.

*My other comment is totally not name related, but has to do with your comment about adolescence. I'm definitely not an expert, but I am one, so I would like to point out that the best reading makes you sympathize with the protag, and the books you remember have to do with issues that relate to your life. While some adults (I don't mean you) like to pretend that abuse doesn't happen, it does- and stories about people 'like you' overcoming horrible stuff is actually inspiring.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I have never been in the babygames forum, so it doesn't really bother me. But I do think it's bad taste. Loss of a child, abuse, rape; these things are not to be made light of. It's not romantic, it's earth shattering and devastating to such a degree I can't begin to explain it. There are other ways to get some drama without acts of violence and death. Just poor taste methinks.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

If I'm going to play a BNG game (which sometimes I do) it's got to be fast and easy. Anything that requires me to read a tella-novella to play doesn't make it past the "open thread" stage. I had no idea they were so dramatic.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Yeah, I went through a brief BNG phase when I first found nameberry, but even then, I never played the story ones because they made me vaguely uncomfortable. Still, I agree with redwoodfey--better it happens on the BNG forum than elsewhere.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

I agree with lexiem- if I have to read it, it's no fun. I didn't realize they were so tragic. Its appalling. I usually play Think/Say or Drop Your Favorite.
    ~Mehri