Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is anyone else bothered by these types of "games"?

I love to pass time on the Name Game Forum. It's fun and stress-relieving...but I keep seeing these games where there is an elaborate story that you are meant to choose names for, but the stories involve infertility, miscarriage, death of a child, etc. I am so disturbed by this. Am I being overly sensitive? It's an issue I've struggled with personally so maybe I have a stronger reaction than most? I just find this terribly offensive. Do others?
    Top 20
    Silas/Cyrus~Gideon~Jasper~Mack(Cormac)~Callum
    Gus(August)~Abram(Abraham)~Everett~Langston~Jed/Jeb(Jedidiah/Jebediah)
    Rafferty~Leo(Leander)~Tobin~Archie(Archer)~Ike(Mic ah)
    Dexter~Remy(Jeremiah)~Ezra~Raleigh~Linc(Lincoln)

Willa(Wilhelmina)~Selah~Lettie(Arletta)~Romy(Rosem ary)~Cora(Coretta)
    Cecelia/Celia~Calla(Calista)~Nola(Magnolia)~Winnie(Winola) ~Maeve
    Rosalie~Maisy~Tilly(Matilda)~Ada(Adelaide)~Junie(J uniper)
    Nova(November)~Tess(Teresa)~Zara~Hazel~Iris

formerly chrbaker

I find some of them to be in poor taste, yes. I'm not bothered by them, probably because I don't see them since I rarely check that forum. I'd rather it be on the game forum than on the other forums presented as reality though. Why someone would want to pretend to suffer is beyond me. Life is hard enough, why pretend it's worse? Romanticizing tragedy must come from people who haven't faced the ugly side of life yet.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

I find most of the games in the games section make for uncomfortable reading. They're just a bit too fanciful for my taste. The only one I indulge in is "A brother or sister for Jack or Olivia". No offence, but almost all the other ones creep me out a bit.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Any game involving adoption bothers me hugely. "You adopt 3-month old twin girls from Ethiopia!!" Um, if I'm adopting literally the most sought-after commodity in the adoption world from a program heavily plagued by corruption, then I'm pretty certain my hypothetical new daughters were the victims of human trafficking. I don't want to name them, I want to call my congressman and request an investigation.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Romanticizing tragedy must come from people who haven't faced the ugly side of life yet.
    This exactly.

The BNGs are played almost exclusively by the <18 set (maybe the <15 set). To them the stories simply sound dramatic and result in lots of babies to name, plus some big life roles to sort out (usually the protagonist manages to get married and land a hot career in the same story). Even though they frequently involve infant or perinatal death, homelessness, rape, abuse, abandonment, heartbreak, and other forms of human ugliness, the plucky heroine pulls through, which is all that matters when you're a sheltered adolescent with incompletely developed empathy.

Stages of life.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq