Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Haven't had children yet, but is it bad to want to know just because you want to know. I HATE surprises. HATE them. It is an irrational hatred, I understand, but I do. I just want to know. Not to buy clothes, not to set up a nursery, but just because I want to know.
    THIS. I am exactly the same. I loathe surprises. Even the idea of a surprise party gives me irrational discomfort. I will find out whether my future little ones are boys or girls ahead of time for this exact reason. It's not about impatience or about painting nursery walls, just about the knowing itself. (Obviously 50 years ago I would have just dealt with the surprise, but now that I CAN know, I dislike not knowing.)

Just curious: Would you consider yourself an introvert? I recently read a book about introversion, and it's very common for introverts to hate surprises.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Haven't had children yet, but is it bad to want to know just because you want to know. I HATE surprises. HATE them. It is an irrational hatred, I understand, but I do. I just want to know. Not to buy clothes, not to set up a nursery, but just because I want to know.
    Exactly the same for me. I did want to buy clothes and stuff, but that wasn't that big of a deal for me except that I just needed to know.
    ~gigi~
    *gina danielle*

I understand and respect preserving the surprise in the big moment, but I do not understand arguments about "pressing gender roles on the unborn"-- as though it were in contrast with "pressing gender roles" on a newborn. Why are the unborn any different than the newly-born? If you expect a newborn boy to join the Army and be good at math while the newborn girlie to like French, ballet and playing with toy unicorns, I'm not sure what to say.

It's not like the child truly is sexually undifferentiated until they emerge and we all observe the meconium-covered genitalia. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle does not apply. It's a boy or a girl from the moment of conception, obviously.

I found out because I'm impatient (instant gratification, yo) but fully, completely appreciate those who choose to wait. I've gotten to deliver babies to couples who didn't find out (or couldn't find out, depending where in the world we were) and have gotten the absolutely delightful privilege of announcing the baby's sex to them. It's a wonderful, wonderful moment, very sweet and life-affirming.

But I don't think it's, like, anti-feminist or something to find out the gender before birth.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I understand and respect preserving the surprise in the big moment, but I do not understand arguments about "pressing gender roles on the unborn"-- as though it were in contrast with "pressing gender roles" on a newborn. Why are the unborn any different than the newly-born? If you expect a newborn boy to join the Army and be good at math while the newborn girlie to like French, ballet and playing with toy unicorns, I'm not sure what to say.

It's not like the child truly is sexually undifferentiated until they emerge and we all observe the meconium-covered genitalia. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle does not apply. It's a boy or a girl from the moment of conception, obviously.

I found out because I'm impatient (instant gratification, yo) but fully, completely appreciate those who choose to wait. I've gotten to deliver babies to couples who didn't find out (or couldn't find out, depending where in the world we were) and have gotten the absolutely delightful privilege of announcing the baby's sex to them. It's a wonderful, wonderful moment, very sweet and life-affirming.

But I don't think it's, like, anti-feminist or something to find out the gender before birth.

Blade, you fill my heart with so much joy. Heisenberg fetus just made my day. Of course, now I'm also thinking of how Schrodinger's Cat applies in your analogy! Yay quantum mechanics.

lol @ Heisenberg fetus

hopefully Schrodinger's cat does NOT apply! Yet another argument for continuous fetal monitoring.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq