Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hey, what about good old fashioned Dick?

Sure, you can get Harry from Richard. I wouldn't, but the har is in there. It's just as plausible as getting Harry from Henry (or almost).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I think it's a bit too much of a stretch. To me, it makes me think of the nickname Dick and then hairy... :-/
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Hey, what about good old fashioned Dick?

Sure, you can get Harry from Richard. I wouldn't, but the har is in there. It's just as plausible as getting Harry from Henry (or almost).
    Can I be honest?
    My boyfriend likes it because he can say "You're being a little dick right now." when he acts out. *eyeroll*
    Men.
    I probably won't ever actually use Richard partially for that reason, but I do like the name.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I love the name Richard and want to use it to honor my grandfather. He goes by Dick, I hate it. My uncle goes by Rick; I hate that, too. Don't get me started on Rich/Richie.

If I could find a good nickname for Richard, I would totally use it. I like Harry, but I see it more as a nickname for Henry.

Could Hardy work for you? I don't know how I feel about it, but it's definitely there.

No. People who know him by his nickname, as Harry, will assume his name is Henry or Harold. WHen yo usay, it's Richard. They'll ask if his mn is Henry or Harold. If you want to call him Harry, why not just name him Harry. If you want to name him Richard, his nickname should grow organically from that: Rick, Rich, Dick, Kiddo, JellyBean, whatever.

If ou want to honor your grandfather (and mine was named Dick too), why not put Richard in the middle?