Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Can I use "Joy" as a boys middle name?

Can I use Joy as a middle name for a boy? Joy was the name of my great uncle, as it was a popular name for boys in the early 1900's. It's also my first name. Is it unfair to use Joy as a middle name for a boy in today's world?

Also, what if I used two middle names - is that too complicated? Maybe use Joy with a strong masculine traditional name? Looking for opinions and options...

Example: Niall Joy Alexander or Ronan Joy Christopher

Appreciate your input!

I'm sure you will get mixed responses, but I say go for it!

Joy is my middle name, but it's also a family surname which to me makes it perfectly acceptable as unisex.

Only stipulation, I wouldn't use Joy as a middle name with a unisex first name just because people do look to the middle name to determine the first (Rory Charles vs. Rory Victoria on a class roster for example).
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

[QUOTE=lineska;1889636]I'm sure you will get mixed responses, but I say go for it!QUOTE]

This, exactly. Because it is a family name, honouring your uncle and yourself, and because you would only use it as a mn, I think it is entirely usable. Of course, I say this as a huge fan of unisex, and such names myself. My favourite now, being May as a middle for a boy. Getting a little distracted here, I've come up with the combo I'm loving right now- Jeremy Emerald May, yes, for a boy, with the nn Jem. Maybe somewhat overboard to some people, but your combos with the mn Joy are totally reasonable.
    Yeaa, so go for it if it has meaning for you, and you love it.
    debating which is better Truth/True/Truly Truth/True/Truly

Quote Originally Posted by lineska View Post
    I'm sure you will get mixed responses, but I say go for it!
    [...]
    Only stipulation, I wouldn't use Joy as a middle name with a unisex first name just because people do look to the middle name to determine the first (Rory Charles vs. Rory Victoria on a class roster for example).
    I'm with you on this. I'm sure you'll get a lot of mixed responses but technically virtue and word names are unisex and as a mn I don't see why not - just pair it with a masculine (non-unisex) first and maybe second middle to balance out the shock-and-awe of it all.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

I don't think it's terrible, but I can imagine it might cause some teasing in the elementary/junior high years.

What about something that means joy? Like Jubal? Roni?
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas