Names Searched Right Now:
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    I used to dislike the name Salinger, but I realized the other day I've been pronouncing it wrong....in my head I've always said it as "say-ling-er" and it sounded horrible, but I heard someone say "Sah-lin-jer" and honestly the sound is pretty and I can understand the appeal of it pronounced that way. (I wouldn't use it myself at this point because I haven't read anything by Salinger, but if I read something and fell in love I totally see the appeal)

I've said it before, but there have been several pages since then, so it may bear repeating: to me, the only way a literary name is pretentious is if the parent gave it to make themselves appear more well-read and cultured when they aren't. And to know the parents' intentions you'd have to know them pretty well.
    For example, I know my cousin and his wife well enough to know that if they had a kid together they would choose a name like Tennyson or Thoreau or Gatsby...something rarely-used, with an obvious literary connection (as opposed to something like Atticus, with history beyond TKaM). And neither of them are high school graduates or people who care about education or literature or even enjoy reading for pleasure. They both are people who want to seem well-read and cultured without actually being well-read or cultured. And in that case, I totally feel justified in my judgment of them...but I think you really do have to know the person that well to be able to know their intentions.

Just meeting a kid in a grocery store named Gatsby...I think we don't have the right to roll our eyes and sneer at the mom's choice, because for all we know it's a family name or the book that changed her life or the movie she watched on her first date or something that has a lot of meaning for her.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I hate to double-post, but I do have a question about literary names, and this seems like the right place for it.

It seems like, in general, people are much more accepting of names like Scout, Atticus, Holden, Austen, Bradbury, etc. than they are of a name like Hermione. The names are from similarly recognizable sources, and I'd be willing to wager that more people have deeper connections to Harry Potter than they do to Catcher in the Rye. So what is it that makes one name more useable than the other? Part of me wonders if this isn't slightly pretentious...as if, perhaps, people want to be associated with more intellectual literature, even if something like Harry Potter has more meaning for them?
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ameliawilliams View Post
    I hate to double-post, but I do have a question about literary names, and this seems like the right place for it.

It seems like, in general, people are much more accepting of names like Scout, Atticus, Holden, Austen, Bradbury, etc. than they are of a name like Hermione. The names are from similarly recognizable sources, and I'd be willing to wager that more people have deeper connections to Harry Potter than they do to Catcher in the Rye. So what is it that makes one name more useable than the other? Part of me wonders if this isn't slightly pretentious...as if, perhaps, people want to be associated with more intellectual literature, even if something like Harry Potter has more meaning for them?
    I would totally use something from Harry Potter, and would wager that a large part of the current popularity of Lily has to do with the fact that she's Harry's mother. Arabella, Ginevra, Lavender, etc are all names I would consider from HP, as I am an enormous fan. And I love, love, love Hermione… her name, on the other hand, just isn't very attractive, imo.
    Last edited by alphabetdem; May 25th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin