Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you think of Lincoln?

I specifically chose Nameberry as the site to ask this question because it seems like the audience is a bit more modern-minded, and I value your opinion.

I have come to love the name Lincoln for my daughter. It sounds cute and feminine to me, and I can picture a little girl with pigtails. It also feels more fresh than some of the other names I have on my short list. I got really excited about it (hubs loves it too), and I started to seriously consider it. HOWEVER, I did some online research and found a few forums of people's opinions of a girl named Lincoln (including the reaction to Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard's daughter) and was really surprised by HOW NEGATIVE the general response was to the name. People seemed downright angry about it. I obviously don't want to ignore something that large and name my wonderful daughter something that everyone seems to hate...but I also can't shake the feeling that maybe I'm reading the opinions of a small group of people who may be more conservative about names. So I have come to Nameberry to ask your honest opinion. What do you think of the name Lincoln for a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by frickyjay View Post
    I specifically chose Nameberry as the site to ask this question because it seems like the audience is a bit more modern-minded, and I value your opinion....I also can't shake the feeling that maybe I'm reading the opinions of a small group of people who may be more conservative about names. So I have come to Nameberry to ask your honest opinion. What do you think of the name Lincoln for a girl?
    I'm always baffled when people think that giving their child an eye-rollingly trendy, downmarket name is somehow interesting, bohemian, or nouveau, something that detractors are just too square to understand. Boys' names for girls, specifically the names of dead white guys, are beyond mainstream. There's nothing edgy or modern about them. In fact, they're downright conservative. Lincoln is instantly dated, a slight, silly, faddish choice that will sit at the table with Jennifer, Madison, Mackenzie, and Jayden. I'm bracing myself for the flood of Lincoln, Linkin, Leinkyn, and Lynkenne.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

You will get some people who don't like it because they have a strong dislike of unisex names (even on Nameberry) and some people who don't like it because it bothers them that people think it's cool to give a girl a boy's name...because that implies being boyish is cooler than being girly, which frankly is kind of sexist. However, Lincoln isn't traditionally a girl's name or a boy's name, it's a surname. People have been using surnames as first names for both boys and girls as a way to carry on a family name or to name a baby after someone they admire for a long time and I think it's perfectly fine to use Lincoln on a girl if you want to.

Did you happen to see the reaction thread to the Bell-Shepard baby's name on Nameberry? Because it was largely (if not all) negative IIRC.

Personally my biggest issue with this name is that Lincoln on a girl is going to be tied SPECIFICALLY to that child, so now if you use it, everyone will assume you're copying those celebrities. As far as the whole "traditionally male name/surname on a girl" issue goes, I say the same thing I always do: if you and your husband love it more than every other name on your list, use it.

If you're concerned about other people's opinions, have you tried asking friends and family what they think of the name? Or even using it yourself (like giving it as your name at Starbucks or somewhere else they would call you by name) to see how it feels? I would value those opinions much more than the opinion of random strangers on an online forum Good luck!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

I love the name Lincoln on a little boy. I think the nn Link is adorable. I love the association with good old Abe. All in all, I think it's a fantastic, strong, name.

On a girl though? NO WAY! It's so heavily masculine. I'm not a fan of unisex names in the first place but to me this one should just be left to the boys. Give your little girl a prettier, more feminine name. Or at least a womanly heroic namesake to look up to.
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!