Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maiwen18 View Post
    You know, perhaps I'm the open-minded person you're looking for, I Cannot Stand when people go crazy over "that's a boy's name, that's a girl's name". Names go back and forth ALL the time. If you don't like stealing boys' names for girls then nobody should name their daughters Ashley or Kelly or Courtney, etc. So forget all that nonsense and if you love it, go for it. The truth is, even if people don't like the name, as they get to know your DD they'll get over it. Nobody in my family liked our name for our DS (Riloh) and I always get the question "Is that a family name?" when I tell new people his name, but you know what, it does not affect how people treat him whatsoever and now my family admits it fits him well. I really don't think people will treat your DD differently because of her name, and if they do then they are ignorant small minded people who really aren't worth the effort!

It also drives me nuts when people get in an uproar over what other people name their child, what does it matter what Kristen Bell named her daughter, sheesh people, get a life!
    How is sharing an opinion on an online forum getting in a uproar? If you ask me it's the exact same as your reply to this topic.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Names go back and forth ALL the time. If you don't like stealing boys' names for girls then nobody should name their daughters Ashley or Kelly or Courtney, etc.
    No, they don't.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    But, Augs, you've got Marlowe on your girl list... D.W.G. (Hey, I thought we were together in the Marlowe-is-for-Boys camp? Am I all alone there now...?)
    Argh, I am so torn! I prefer it on a boy but a poll I posted soliciting opinions placed it firmly in the girls' camp... *is ashamed*

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Names go back and forth ALL the time. If you don't like stealing boys' names for girls then nobody should name their daughters Ashley or Kelly or Courtney, etc.
    The problem with this, and I think the problem we all have with boys names on girls (those of us that do), is that they don't go back and forth. Boys names only go to girls, and girls names never go to boys. Hell, there's a whole Johnny Cash son about the curse put on a boy who gets a girl's name. It suggests a mentality that it's ok to be a boy, and it's ok for girls to be masculine, but it is never, ever ok for boys to suggest femininity or have feminine traits, and it suggests that a girl can't get ahead in the world while being feminine--rather, that she has to be masculine in order to be respected. It frankly suggests a pretty sexist mentality, and that's why people don't like boys names on girls, and some extend it to unisex names, though I personally don't.

I don't see Lincoln as a unisex name, it's strictly masculine to me, and like I said before, I'm all for it on a little boy. (And so disappointed it won't work with my SO's last name!) As for Marlowe, contrary to everything I just said, I consider it a strictly female name, because I've only ever heard of the Marlo spelling on women. However, if you think of it from a literary perspective and get the name from the playwright, then it would be a boy's name.

I'm also a pretty offended that you don't think the rest of us are open minded just because we don't agree with you. How very close minded of you.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

It's been my experience that I keep my mouth shut if the child is born and named already. If you and your husband truly believe your daughters name can not be anything but Lincoln then use it. There is a sweet little girl I know named Carter. Yes I think Carter on a girl is unacceptable but, I'll never say what I think about it to her having a boys name to her parents because she makes her own personality not her name.
    Theodore Arthur