Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winslow?

Hybrid View

Winslow?

Hello Berries,

I recently posted a list of boys names and was surprised at the positive feedback I received on the name Winslow (nn Win).

I wanted to cast the net a bit wider and do a more specific post on this name.

Do you like this name? What sort of boy/man do you picture wearing this name? Do you think it comes off as trendy or do you think it has a classic feel?

Do you think it fits stylistically with the other names on my list ( Frederick, Raphael, Oliver, Edmund, Marguerite, Eulalie, Flora, Viola, Francesca).

I'd love to hear your thoughts

I actually really quite like Winslow, and I love the nn. Win. Maybe because it reminds me of Win Butler (of Arcade Fire) -- although his full name is Edwin. Because of that association I do kind of think Winslow as a folksy musician type of guy! But at the same time it sort of gives of a geeky/posh vibe. I do think the nn. Win cuts through some of that though, freshens it up and makes it a little cooler.
    To me, it doesn't seem trendy, and seems a little too offbeat to be considered classic...if you know what I mean.

From the other names of your list I think it goes best with: Frederick, Oliver, Edmund, Eulalie & Flora.
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

I absolutely love it. W names are my favorite, and Winslow has a windswept, romantic Edwardian feel to me. Artistic but substantial. And Winslow goes perfectly with the rest of your list, particularly Frederick, Edmund, Flora, and Viola.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I really like the sound of the name, but the meaning really turns me off (burial mound). Hubby suggested it for our current baby (due next week), but it feels too morbid a name for a newborn.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocamper View Post
    I really like the sound of the name, but the meaning really turns me off (burial mound). Hubby suggested it for our current baby (due next week), but it feels too morbid a name for a newborn.
    hmmm, yes.. I see nameberry has it listed as "burial mound" but I'm yet to find it listed anywhere else under that specific meaning. It seems to be related to the terms "friend" and "Hill" ... so I guess it's possible that it has a rather bleak origin but I'm not sure if it's certain. Worth looking in to a bit more I think...