Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helen/Helena?

I love Helen and Helena. If you want to be correct to Helen, only Helen-ah is right in Greek for Helena. It's the only way in Greek to say it properly and keeps it closest to Helen. I also like it the most. ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

HELL-ehn-a

And I ADORE Helena. Helen seems unfinished and clipped, to me. But Helena is beautiful. It has a fantastic meaning and history. I didn't like it originally, but when I used it on a character and started thinking and saying it a lot I grew to love it.

Start saying it more. It flows so perfectly off the tongue, it doesn't drop in your mouth when you say it like so many other names do. When you say it quickly it sounds like water, when you say it slowly it sounds romantic, like music. It evokes images of roses and fields, of oceans and sunshine. It's lightly exotic with it's roots in Greece, but so simple and subtle that it doesn't surprise or shock you. It's like an acquired taste or a chill pool, you start slowly and grow to love it as you spend time with it. It becomes more interesting, more beautiful every day, every time you hear or say it.

I'm legitimately sitting here whispering it to myself in my empty kitchen because it just sounds so nice. I might end up using it in spite of my character, because of how deeply I've fallen in love with this name.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by ruolan View Post
    From your list I really like Clara Helene or Helena Sky, but I can't help wondering-- you like Filomena, but not Helena? I would put them in a similar category and don't see a very big jump from one to the other.
    Filomena is my grandmother's name...I think that's the main reason why I love it as much as I do. Clara Helene is really pretty...thanks for that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    Start saying it more. It flows so perfectly off the tongue, it doesn't drop in your mouth when you say it like so many other names do. When you say it quickly it sounds like water, when you say it slowly it sounds romantic, like music. It evokes images of roses and fields, of oceans and sunshine. It's lightly exotic with it's roots in Greece, but so simple and subtle that it doesn't surprise or shock you. It's like an acquired taste or a chill pool, you start slowly and grow to love it as you spend time with it. It becomes more interesting, more beautiful every day, every time you hear or say it.

I'm legitimately sitting here whispering it to myself in my empty kitchen because it just sounds so nice. I might end up using it in spite of my character, because of how deeply I've fallen in love with this name.
    This advice is awesome...Helena is definitely starting to appeal to me more.
    Girls: Filomena, Harper, Lavinia
    Boys: Atticus, Leo, Roman

Helena is gorgeous! It's not quite on my favourites list but pretty close. It's elegant, beautiful and feminine while being strong and grounded at the same time. Helen of Troy is a great reference, as is Queen Victoria's daughter Helena, and I believe it's a character from Shakespeare (can't remember which play though, might be something I haven't read). Helen is nice also but doesn't seem as feminine.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I love Helena. I pronounce it hel-een-a. My combo is Helena Margaret.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett