Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Helen/Helena?

Hybrid View

Helen/Helena?

DBF and I have been together over a year, and while we are no where close to having kids, we do like to discuss hypothetical baby names from time to time.

He is absolutely DESPERATE to name his daughter Helen, after Helen of Troy (face that launched a thousand ships and all of that). I'm having some serious trouble getting behind it...I just don't love it...or really even like it. He's also willing to go with Helena.

What do you guys think of Helen and Helena? How would you pronounced Helena? HELL-ehn-a? Hell-AYN-a? Hell-EEN-a?

I'm not ready to put this name in the running for a future baby, but I don't want to dash his hopes and dreams. Please help me like this name!!
    Girls: Filomena, Silvia, Clara
    Boys: Atticus, Leo, Wyatt

I love Helen!! It's so pretty and classic, plus you could use the super cute nickname Nell
    Alice, Cecilia, Cora, Eve, Georgia, Iris, Johanna, Phoebe, Rose, Sylvie, Tess, Violet
    Calvin, Dexter, Felix, Graham, Hugo, Leo, Louis, Miles, Oscar, Paul, Simon, Walter

Quote Originally Posted by julia johanna View Post
    I love Helen!! It's so pretty and classic, plus you could use the super cute nickname Nell
    This. Helen "Nell" is adorable!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm partial to Helen myself, along with many variations. My favorite is probably Helene.

From your list I really like Clara Helene or Helena Sky, but I can't help wondering-- you like Filomena, but not Helena? I would put them in a similar category and don't see a very big jump from one to the other.
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

I like Helen, but Helena is gorgeous. I found the story of St. Helena particularly beautiful, and even if you're not Christian it's certainly an interesting read. I'll include the link below.

Some combos:
    Helen Amelia
    Helen Odette
    Helen Maria(h)
    Helen Georgia
    Helen Iris
    Helen May
    Helen Carina

Helena Genevieve
    Helena Marlowe
    Helena Pearl
    Helena Ruth
    Helena Raine
    Helena Verity
    Helena Gwendolyn
    Helena Camille

http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-helena/
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |