Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have not seen the disney movie so I didn't even make the connection.

I did however make the connection to the city in Mexico! And it was a city name before a disney character name!

I think it is TOTALLY usable! cute too!
    boys names drive me crazy!

Yay! Glad to hear! I don't mind the place name connection at all. There are some very lovely and popular place names like Victoria, Adelaide, Savannah, Siena, etc.

Now I need middle names!
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

The names that have sprung up from Disney movies often have to due with current name trends and how common the name currently is.

Jasmine was already in the top 50 when Aladdin released. It's longevity was probably due to the movie, but the connection was mostly negated. Ariel still has stronger ties with The Little Mermaid, but while it definitely peaked when it was released, Ariel had a history as a given name in America.

On the other hand, Belle still has stayed off the list. But the name is associated with so many other things (as a nickname, Isabella and the other rising -belle/-bella names, southern beauty, etc.) than just the movie.

Anyhow, I do think Merida will be useable in a few years. It's not the kind of Disney movie that will be considered a classic IMO (i.e. Nala and Nemo are so associated with Disney it would be hard to pull either of them off), and even now people are forgetting the main character's name. In seven years, some may think when they see a little girl Merida, "Wasn't that the character of a Disney Movie? What a great namesake!" But it's definitely not like Cinderella or Mulan.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I'm thinking a nature/flower name would sound nice with Merida.

Lilac
    Fleur
    Bryony
    Ione
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

I love the name Merida, it's very pretty! I think that while it has a Disney assocation, it's not necessarily a bad one. Go for it!
    Combos that came to mind were

Merida Rose
    Merida Violet
    Merida Elizabeth
    Merida Arabella