Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Merida Usable?

I really like Merida. It fits with my other quirky girls' names like Ksenia and Rowena. Do you think it is usable? Not now, but in 5-10 years. Are the connections to Disney too strong, or will they fade over time? Do you think it will become really popular?

WDYT? Middle name ideas are welcome.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

I think so if there are little girls named Belle and Arial then why not Merida.. Yes there is a Disney connection but but that's ok

I go back and forth on this one. Unlike the names Tiana, Aurora, and Arielle, I have never heard the name on real person. But unlike Cinderella, Rapunzel, Mulan, etc...Merida seems much tamer and more usable, and as far as I know doesn't have any major folk-lore or historical connections. I would say that in a few years, it will be usable - but people will probably associate it with the princess and make comments here and there, but I wouldn't expect a lot of teasing or eye rolls from it.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I agree with leadmythoughts.

Although it's not my type of name, it definitely isn't along the lines of Rapunzel and Cinderella. I feel like right now, Brave makes the name 'unusable' but give it a few years and I think Merida will become a strong-sounding hidden gem.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I don't think the tie is that strong actually. I have actually asked people this, and they didn't remember the characters name was Merida. It not the biggest Disney movie, and I think the ties are very weak. Especially in 5-10 years.

This in my top name lists, and I would definitely consider it usable.