Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Cora a "black name"? Is Ivy an Asian name?

Trying to put this is the least offensive way and not really knowing how...I've always loved the name Cora but I just saw the movie Django and one of the slaves in it was named Cora. Then I google imaged it and a bunch of the girls that came up were African-American. I'm not a racist but if there's a name that's traditionally used for a different race than mine than I try to avoid it. Is Cora a black name?

On the same kind of note, is Ivy an Asian name? Ivy is the name of the Chinese American Girl doll and I saw somewhere that Ivy is used a lot more by Asian-American parents. Would you picture an Ivy as Asian?

Sorry if this is offensive to anybody, I'm trying to put it the best way I can!

I have never considered either of these names being tied to any nationality or ethnicity. Both lovely names.

Um... no? I've never put these names with a certain ethnicity before. I really like both of them

Juliet, Arabella, Willow, Camilla, Genevieve, Lorelai, Clarice, Emmeline, Isla, Giselle, Eloise, Amelia, Mabel, Eliora, Aurelia, Emalina, Maëlys, Lumina, Lavender, Seraphina

Jeremy, Declan, Camden, Leo, Luca, Oliver, Rhys, Griffin, Milo, Micah, Yves, Rémy, Theo, Jasper, Gavin, Anders, Samson, Félix, Ollivander, Maxim

Quote Originally Posted by boyandgirl View Post
    I have never considered either of these names being tied to any nationality or ethnicity. Both lovely names.
    Ditto here.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I agree with others -- no ties for me. I love both names.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996