Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WDYT of Tyde?

I am from the uk, that's probably why I've never heard of it! I'll probably put it on my GP list, the thought of naming a child something equivalent of Persil puts me off it!

Haha, thanks for the replies!!
    Arlo|Finn|Oliver|Taylor|Fox|Rhodes|Archer|Bram|Bay |Lane|Evett|Tyne|Bodhi

Everly|Arla|Clementine|Avalon|Iris|Charla|Allegra| Nova|Lark|Birdie|Ione|Indigo|Lumina

Tyde/Tide is a bit too much like the laundry detergent. Aside from that, I only see it as a word and not as usable as something like Sequoia or River.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I currently live in Alabama and my immediate thought was "Roll Tide!" This is a commonly used term by University of Alabama fans/alums. We have lots of girls named Crimson (nickname of school is Crimson Tide), Bear or Bryant (late coach Bear Bryant), and Nick (for current coach Nick Saban).

I would not think twice if I heard this as a name in Alabama. However, outside of our state I don't think it is usable due to the previous mentioned laundry detergent association.
    You can call me Roxanne... and a proud new mother!
    Beautiful Zora Jade arrived 6.17.14. She is perfect.

A separate problem for Tyde in the UK is the similarity to the (northern, I think) Welsh word for grandfather Taid (pronounced the same way).

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore

At first I thought it was adorable as a word/nature name...then I saw it spelled out Tide and all I could think of was laundry commercials. That's something I wouldn't want linked to my child lol.