Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Feminine forms of Michael

My DH and father share a name - Michael - so I've been thinking lately about its feminine forms and names that might honour a Michael.

What I've thought about:

Michaela - I haate all the Mikayla/Makaylas and whatnot that are so trendy now. Also don't like the nickname Kayla, although I suppose maybe she could be a Mika/Mila/Mia

Michelle - I like this, and that it lends itself easily to cute nicknames like Ellie and so on. But as the Nameberry entry for the name points out, it is quite dated (although it looks like it's still only just out of the top 100?). I also feel like it's a more subtle feminization than Michaela, since it has a different sound.

Micah/Mischa - not sure about these as I think they're both more properly boy names?

Mirabel - I love this but couldn't use it as it would look like a smooshed together version of DH's name and mine (Rebecca)

Would love more opinions and ideas.

There's the Italian Michela (Mee-KEL-la,) although that may not be different enough from Michaela for you. The elaboration is Michelina, "mee-kel-EE-na," which does sound different, but I'm not a huge fan of the unaccented pronunciation.

I think your best bet may be Micaiah (muh-KYE-a) which is related to Micah.
    I also like Mirabel, and I don't think it looks much like Rebecca at all- it's only real similarity is that it contains a B. And even if it did, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, I love Michaela. It's so much prettier than the trendier spellings and you could definitely use Micah or Mila as nicknames. My second choice would be Micah as a stand alone. It is traditionally a boy name, but it works well on girls as well. I've known three Micahs, two boys and one girl, and it fit all of them perfectly. One the boys actually later ended up going by his middle name though because he felt like Micah was a girl name.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Temperance, Gwendolyn Lucille, Jessamyn Hazel, Charleston Hawk, Harrison Ambrose, Thompson Conrad

Yes, Micah and Mischa are both boys names. Personally, my favorite feminine form of Michael is Michaela.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Micah is a boy's name but Misha/Mischa can be either gender. I have never met a male with this name but I do know several females called Mischa and I think it's gorgeous! It's one of my top choices if I have a little girl.

Feminie forms of Michael with the letters jumbled:

Lia, Mae, Aime, Halie, Leah, Malie, Alice, Ali/Allie, Mia, Celia, Laci, Leila, Mila, Ameli.

Best Wishes x