Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Layla or Leila

aurra-Leila is also Arabic It is my mothers name and is pronounced Lee-Lah. It is a gorgeous name.

I prefer Layla, it's a lovely name. I like the suggestion of Layla Violet.

Quebec, Canada
    I also prefer the look of Layla. The one Leila I know pronounces her name Lee-luh.

Liverpool, England
    Laila/Layla/Leila is a funny one x_x It seems to have two separate roots, one Arabic and one Nordic. There's also the Hawaiian Leilani (lay-lah-nee) but I'm leaving that one for now.

This is what I've found so far on Forvo when I checked spelling against pronunciation:

Swedish/Norwegian/Finnish LAILA: 'lie-la'
    Swedish/Norwegian/Finnish LEILA: 'lay-la'

German LEILA: 'lee-la'

Hebrew LAILA: 'lie-la'

Azerbaijani LAYLA: 'lie-la'

I then went hunting down a classical Arabic pronunciation and found a (beautiful) reading of a Qu'ran passage in which the speaker says the word 'night'. There it's been transcribed as 'laylati/u'. Click on LAYLA below to hear it for yourselves:

Classical Arabic LAYLA: 'lay-la'

In conclusion it seems that (not counting changes in dialect as there are some modern Arabic based languages who use 'lie-la') that:

Classical Arabic pronunciation = 'lay-la' (with Layla or Laila as the spellings)
    Nordic pronunciation = 'lie-la' (as Laila) and 'lay-la' (as Leila).

Neither root uses the 'lee-la' pronunciation.

The Germans seem to be the only anomaly, pronouncing Leila as 'lee-la' which I find very odd (since nein is 'n-eye-n' and Liesl is 'lee-zl') Of course, that gentleman could be an anomaly himself as his was the only German entry.

My personal preference is the Arabic pronunciation with Laila as the spelling.
    Last edited by renrose; May 5th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

★ August Eli Benedict ★ Bram ★ Casimir Mordecai ★ Edmond John Meirion ★ Gillon ★
    ★ Jory Leander ★ Julian Charles ★ Macsen ★ Magnus ★ Vasiliy ★

★ Aira Rose ★ Arietta ★ Clover ★ Delphina ★ Eleni ★ Fiorella ★ Hester Isobel ★
    ★ Iris ★ Lilah ★ Merit ★ Sylvia ★

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

New York
    I think there will be far less confusion about pronunciation with Layla. For some reason, I really like nature names with Layla

Layla Rose, Layla Wren, Layla Hyacinth, Layla Hazel, Layla Brooke, Layla Peony, Layla Clementine
    Gwendolyn Mae... Meredith Jane. ... Josephine Claire...Catherine Esme... Evelyn Grace ** Arlo Grant ... Drew Thomas ... Eli James ... Owen Vincent... Jay Theodore