Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alena

Alena is Alaina to me.
    Elena is El-leh-na preferrably.

I pronounce it like Alaina, same with Elena except with an E at the beginning.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Just wanted to say that I ADORE Seren Elena. Love love love. With such a gorgeous name I wouldn't call her Sam. Seren is stunning.
    So maybe I should just keep Seren Elena and forget about Sam as a nickname.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Clementine, Imogen, Calanthe, Azalea, Luna, Rose, Temperance, Wilhelmina, Charleston, Bram, Carver, Ambrose, Conrad, Wilder, Thatcher, Ransom

Quote Originally Posted by wolv View Post
    Well, it depends in what tradition you pronounce it. This is a common Czech name, and then it's AH-leh-na with the stress on the first syllable,but soft vowels thereafter.

This is comparable to the Italian Elena, which also has soft syllables. It's EH-lehna, not Eh-LAY-na, in Italian.

But in an English context, I think there are really no rules, so you can tel lpeople to pronounce it any way you want.
    I would have pronounced it AH-leh-na as well. Because it is a middle name, the pronunciation issues aren't as big of a deal. That being said I really love Seren Elena. When it comes to middles, I always feel like people should follow their heart and do what makes them happy. If Alena makes you happy, then go for it.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

I don't know how too explain...Basically, in Slavic languages there is a letter pronounced like "yo" and(I suppose you talk about Slavic Alena) they pronounce it "Uh-l-yo-nuh". Not Alina(uh-lee-nuh), it's a different name.
    Alena is a Medieval version of Elena, if I remember correctly.