Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Literary names for dogs?

I'm an English major, and I'd really like a literary name for the hypothetical dog I may or may not own one day. For a girl dog, I was thinking Mina after Mina Harker in Dracula. I can't think of many boy names from literature that I like, though, which is a shame because I'd rather have a boy dog. I did consider Gatsby after, of course, The Great Gatsby. I prefer people sounding names for dogs, rather than, say, Scooby or something.

Any ideas?

'Literary names' is a pretty broad category, so I just listed all of the literary dogs I could think of. All are male except for Little Ann, I believe. Some sound more people-like than others.

Pilot - Jane Eyre
    Buck - Call of the Wild
    Tock - The Phantom Tollbooth
    Gladstone - Sherlock Holmes
    Argos - The Odyssey
    Banga - The Master and Margarita
    Snowy - The Adventures of Tintin
    Gaspode - Discworld
    Toto - The Wizard of Oz
    Old Dan, Little Ann - Where the Red Fern Grows

I've always thought Diogenes would be a great name for a dog. Diogenes was a Greek philosopher who was associated with dogs. He was often (not so flatteringly) described as being dog-like by his contemporaries, and he frequently extolled the virtues of dogs. He's been referenced and parodied in many stories. There was a dog called Diogenes in Dickens' Dombey and Son, the protagonist in Charlotte Bronte's Villette is given the nickname Diogenes, Mycroft Holmes is a member of the Diogenes Club, etc.

Lol. I've just written rather a lot about this in a post about dog names and breeds. You can go and read it, but basically most of my rather long list of male dog names is literary as is my rather shorter list for female dogs. Dogs seem to be the opposite of children in that all the boys get the interesting names and all the girls are called Molly and Bella.

Re. Gatsby - There's an ad on TV in the UK atm for Vax hoovers (can you say that?) with an Italian Spinone in it called Gatsby. I remember thinking it was an awesome name for a dog the first time I heard it.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

@hanniekitt, I saw your other thread. I love Sherlock for a boy dog as well! I also saw somewhere that you're Northern Irish. That's awesome! I used to live in Northern Ireland so I always get excited when I hear of people from there.

My cousins used Bingley from Pride and Prejudice for their dog
    Pip- Great Expectations
    Gatsby- the Great Gatsby
    Oliver- Oliver Twist
    Dodger- Oliver Twist
    Romeo- Romeo and Juliet
    Huck- Tom Sawyer, adventures... Etc.
    Edmond- Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe