Names Searched Right Now:

Please explain this to me..

Would all you nameberries out there mind explaining to me the point of coming up with a novelty spelling for an already existing name? I really would like to know why people do this. If your little one is too special to share a name with anyone else, why not just come up with a new name? By re-spelling an old one, you're still giving your kid a known name but just forcing him/her into a lifetime of correcting people. Seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

I don't get it either, especially with this whole 'let's replace ALL the vowels with the letter Y!' thing.

When I change a name's spelling, it's usually because of pronunciation, or because there are already a few ways to spell it and I haven to prefer a less common one. Or it's just because I LIKE it that way (which happens like twice). ie, Sebastien, Dashiel, Roselind, Elouise, Casady, Renne.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Honestly, I don't know! It's an effort to be unique, I'm sure, and it sounds awful for the poor kid! Often it's with very common names. I say if you're going to give your kid a popular name, commit to it, because in the end you should name your baby something you love. If you're naming your son Aiden, own it, don't go with Aaden or Ayden.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Not expecting, just a lover of names!

Aiden - Amias - Bailey - Brady - Brooks - Ciaran - Declan - Emerson - James - Jude - Lachlan - Miller - Milo - Rhys - Riley - Ronan

Adeline - Amelie - Charlotte - Eleanora - Elodie - Elowyn - Emmeline - Evangeline - Juliette - Lily - Madeline - Maisie - Sadie - Willa

Current love(s): Mae, William

I honestly don't see the point of it. I mean, it'll still sound the same. Ex. Emily J. and Emyliy R., or James L., and Jaymz K.. Don't even make up a name, because that's almost worse. Give them an unusual name that's still a name. Now, there are some names where I prefer a different spelling, like Julien and Catelynn, but not Jooleyinn and Khaytlynn.
    Last edited by mge28; May 4th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.