Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yolanda

Wink Yolanda

Okay, so I teach in China, and often have students with bizarre/ outdated English names. Sometimes, I'm not sure whether or not the name is really that bad, or just not my taste. Pixie, Gemini, Candy, and Enn all had to change their names. After a conversation with Sharon, she decided to change to Tamsin (something a bit younger), and I decided Hans actually fits Hans...

But the problem comes with Yolanda. She's quite overweight, very awkward, and her English is not so great. So, if I changed her name, it would need to be something easy (no more than 3 syllables, no 'th', and no consonant clusters like 'str'). My issue is that I've never actually known someone named Yolanda, and I personally find it to be a really unattractive, and almost awkward name. It almost makes her seem more awkward to me... but am I over thinking it?

So I guess my question is: Does Yolanda need to be changed? Would you bat an eye if you met a young Yolanda? Is it an awkward name like I seem to think of it as? If you think it's not a good name, what would be a better option?

Thanks!
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Why would you change somebody else names? Why do you think you are the one who should think this through? Why are they changing theirs names?
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I would change it to Eve. it's pretty and easy to say

Did she choose it? I wouldn't change it. What about a nn? Yolie? I know quite a few Yolandas and almost every single one goes by Yolie.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

Quote Originally Posted by theclocktowerofjoy View Post
    Why would you change somebody else names? Why do you think you are the one who should think this through? Why are they changing theirs names?
    They are Chinese students... meaning that generally they were either given the name from a website, or else by a Chinese teacher. This tends to be problematic, as the Chinese naming system is quite different from that of the English world... and saying "Hi, my name is Pixie Wang" can actually hurt your chances for having a real career, as people will generally assume your English is poor. After all, why else would you choose Pixie or Water (I met a Water today)?

Obviously, you cannot force a student to change their name. However, they often choose names from the internet or without any idea of which name to choose.

So, to reiterate the questions...

Is this a name that would cause you to bat an eye? Would it seem strange or out-of-place?
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina