Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    I want to love Tristram 'cause Tristan is my favourite boys name, but I just can't get into it at all. Your tongue falls over the Rs. As previously mentioned, it also reminds me of Tristram Shandy one of few books (in fact possibly the only one - it's certainly the only one I can think of atm) where I finished reading after the first chapter. I read it looking at bit 0_o.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Red face Great Name

I think the name Tristram is great! We named our son Tristran, after Tristran Thorn in Stardust. He is three and he can pronounce his name pretty well. We just met Neil Gaiman the other day, and his comment was, "In ten years he is going to curse me for that extra 'r'". He meant it as a joke. Tristran loves his name and corrects everyone who calls him Tristan. Also, he is unique in a world full of Tristans.

Quote Originally Posted by patp View Post
    As the mom of a 29-year-old "Tristan," I am tickled by everyone referring to "all the Tristans" and mentioning that a "Tristram" might have to keep explaining that he wasn't "Tristan." MY "Tristan" -- named well before "Legends of the Fall" -- had to spend some time explaining that he wasn't "Christian" (or worse yet "Kristen") because no one had ever heard his name. That did bug him a bit until he was around 18. I remember him then saying,"Wow, Mom, girls think my name is so romantic and cool!" Now he makes his living as a musician in a band and appreciates that the world has "caught up" with the name -- which is, indeed, a cool name for a musician. So -- although I personally think the "an" ending on "Tristan" sounds stronger than the "ram" ending on "Tristram," that could just be a function of my generation (with all the "Jasons" and "Justins.") So, I say go with whichever you prefer and let the world catch up. ;-) One other possible variation you might consider (and that we almost chose) is "Tristam." (Again, he might have to explain that the last letter of his name is an "m" and not an "n," but so what. It would make him sound fresher than being one of "all the Tristans" but -- to me -- has a sharper, crisper, less tongue-twister sound than the double-r of "Tristram.")
    I have to say, I love this! I fell in love with the name Tristan when I was 8, I have a cousin with that name and it was so different. I vowed to name my future son Tristan. Well, by the time I got around to making babies Tristan had become so popular, thank you Legends of the Fall! I had since become a serious Neil Gaiman fan, so I suggested Tristran. My husband loved the idea, everyone else hated it, and tried to make us change the name. We always have to explain that he is not Trista, Kristen, or Christian. But we also have to explain that our daughter is not Caroline (she's Coraline) and I have always had to explain my name, Djrianna. It doesn't hurt, never has and I've always had great conversations about names. And once you get past the tongue twister (took me three months) it's such a lovely name! And I know that mine is going to be the only Tristran in his class. Oh, and as far as the association with the main character in the book Stardust, he is a strong character who learns valuable lessons and makes the right decision in the end. He struggles, and leads a good, adventurous life because he wanted something and went for his goal. Not a terrible association.