Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    As the mom of a 29-year-old "Tristan," I am tickled by everyone referring to "all the Tristans" and mentioning that a "Tristram" might have to keep explaining that he wasn't "Tristan." MY "Tristan" -- named well before "Legends of the Fall" -- had to spend some time explaining that he wasn't "Christian" (or worse yet "Kristen") because no one had ever heard his name. That did bug him a bit until he was around 18. I remember him then saying,"Wow, Mom, girls think my name is so romantic and cool!" Now he makes his living as a musician in a band and appreciates that the world has "caught up" with the name -- which is, indeed, a cool name for a musician. So -- although I personally think the "an" ending on "Tristan" sounds stronger than the "ram" ending on "Tristram," that could just be a function of my generation (with all the "Jasons" and "Justins.") So, I say go with whichever you prefer and let the world catch up. ;-) One other possible variation you might consider (and that we almost chose) is "Tristam." (Again, he might have to explain that the last letter of his name is an "m" and not an "n," but so what. It would make him sound fresher than being one of "all the Tristans" but -- to me -- has a sharper, crisper, less tongue-twister sound than the double-r of "Tristram.")

I agree with many of these replies: that Tristram is hard so say, that it will be constantly confused with Tristan, and that it surely also means sadness (can't get away from "triste").

I would probably really adore the name Tristram if I didn't find a little bit hard to say :/ which is a shame, because it's got a very cool sound, cool associations, and a cool history.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

It's a bit clunky to say, but I actually like it. Tristram John flows nicely.

It does remind me slightly of Tristran Thorn, the main character of the book Stardust. It's not a bad association, but something to be aware of perhaps
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by patp View Post
    As the mom of a 29-year-old "Tristan," I am tickled by everyone referring to "all the Tristans" and mentioning that a "Tristram" might have to keep explaining that he wasn't "Tristan." MY "Tristan" -- named well before "Legends of the Fall" -- had to spend some time explaining that he wasn't "Christian" (or worse yet "Kristen") because no one had ever heard his name. That did bug him a bit until he was around 18. I remember him then saying,"Wow, Mom, girls think my name is so romantic and cool!" Now he makes his living as a musician in a band and appreciates that the world has "caught up" with the name -- which is, indeed, a cool name for a musician. So -- although I personally think the "an" ending on "Tristan" sounds stronger than the "ram" ending on "Tristram," that could just be a function of my generation (with all the "Jasons" and "Justins.") So, I say go with whichever you prefer and let the world catch up. ;-) One other possible variation you might consider (and that we almost chose) is "Tristam." (Again, he might have to explain that the last letter of his name is an "m" and not an "n," but so what. It would make him sound fresher than being one of "all the Tristans" but -- to me -- has a sharper, crisper, less tongue-twister sound than the double-r of "Tristram.")
    You sound like such an awesome Mum!
    What great advice.
    My husband is a musician!
    I think this has pretty much made me sure.
    Our baby will be some variant of Tristan/ram/ran.
    I like all three ways to pronounce it.
    Thanks so much xx