Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Tristram. Thoughts please...

We adore this name.
    We love the history to it the Arthurian background!
    It sounds beautiful.
    One of my sisters says it sounds strange and we should go for Tristan, but I like the almost musical sound the additional letters make!
    HOWEVER it's meaning (unlike Tristan) is "sorrowful"!!!
    Thoughts please?

As a middle name we like John.
    So Tristram John.
    We have an Anglo Saxon two syllable last name.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but your son would probably spend his whole life explaining that his name is not Tristan. I think Tristan is a better option.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    I appreciate where you're coming from, but your son would probably spend his whole life explaining that his name is not Tristan. I think Tristan is a better option.
    I know what you mean! xx

I love Trstram! Have you read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman? One of my favourites.

I don't know where you've got your information from, but Tristram & Tristan are the same name (Tristram being the medieval version). The name was originally spelled Trystan (or Drystan), and the meaning is derived from the Celtic word trusto which means noise/cry. Another cute etymology theory is that it comes from the word tryst... which is rather adorable (especially when you think of the legend of Tristan and Isolde).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Yes! See my husband and I love love love all the Celtic names and the Arthurian legends (Tristram was one of the knights who fell in love with Isuelt name is sometimes Isolde!)
    HOWEVER
    in a baby book I found - a really old one it said Tristram: (not to be confused with Tristan): Sorrowful and Tristan had a totally different meaning to Tristram! Isn't that strange?