Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Showers

Baby Showers

Hey y'all! So..my sister-in-law's baby shower is coming up soon, and aspects of it sure enough led to a huge discussion about what is appropriate or common in terms of baby showers.

1. Pre or Post-baby? My SIL is having hers before the babies are born..hopefully! (she is having twins, and doctors told her she could go anywhere between June and July..baby shower is planned for late May). This has caused quite the stir in some of her relatives' eyes. They expect to see the little guys there, and some are going as far as saying they hope she goes really early, just so the twins can be at the shower. Which ticks me off to no end, because if the twins did come that early, they would certainly be kept in the hospital..not in their clutches. On the other hand, i can see why they would want the babies present...some of them may not be able to see the twins for quite a long time. Momberries (or others who have attended/thrown baby showers), did you have them before baby was born or after? If after, was baby there?

2. One per mom? this isn't related to SIL, but some family friends, who are welcoming a new baby soon. They said alot of relatives are upset with her, calling her selfish because she is having another shower. This is their third child together, second son. He will be 5 years younger than his next closest sibling. Do you think it's okay for her to have another shower? Or just in certain cases (ex. 1st child with a new partner/large age gap between kids/financial reasons/etc.)?

3. This isn't really a question..but I thought this was so cute! My brother and SIL included little cards in their invitations saying that, if the attendee would like, bro and sis suggest they bring a children's book for the kids and write something on the inside cover to them! I totally love that idea!! I mean, they definitely need other baby supplies, but i just thought it was really sweet I may get them a copy of one of my favorite books when i was little
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

1. All the baby showers I've been to have been pre-baby. The shower my mom had for me was post-baby because I was adopted. I was a couple weeks old so it was more of a party to see me and of course bring gifts. A post-baby shower could be a good idea for new parents who have family coming in from out of state to see the new baby. Btw, it irks me too that relatives would wish the babies come early. Early babies are never something to wish for.

2. I don't have children yet, but I would hope to have one for each child. I would feel bad celebrating the birth of only the first child. I don't think receiving baby shower gifts should be seen as greedy. The point is to celebrate a new life. Another shower can be much smaller than the first. Gifts can be children's books and diapers instead of expensive baby gear. And if the baby is of a different sex than the other children, then gifts could be clothes for that gender. I read an article about this subject that called second+ baby showers "sprinkles" instead of showers. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/fa...stly.html?_r=0

1. No right or wrong, just a matter of personal preference. With my first I had a traditional baby shower pre-baby. With my second the baby shower was thrown post-baby so that my mom could be there (my sister was able to go to both). This time around my friend's are throwing me a baby shower pre-baby. I personally lean towards having post-baby shower so that the people will get to meet the baby their celebrating but traditional baby showers are fun.

2. Yet again no right or wrong. This being my third I wasn't really expecting any baby showers but I may end up with two. My friend's are throwing me one and my husband's boss is talking about throwing a baby shower for the pregnant ladies at work and myself.

3. Love that idea!!!

1. I've never attended a baby shower after the baby was born. I'd think that was odd. It's traditional to have a baby shower a few weeks or few months before the baby is born. For people who want to see the baby and can't, for whatever reason, visit you personally, what about the christening? I'm (hopefully) having my baby christened in my home town so all my relatives will be able to see him/her. They most likely won't be at the baby shower, which will probably take place in my current town.

2. I'm not sure about one per mum. I've only ever been to baby showers where it's been the woman's first baby. I don't think it's weird to have one for the second child. I didn't know this was controversial!

3. Love the idea of books for baby!
    Last edited by sarahmezz; May 4th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I've only been to baby showers pre-baby. These days, it's common to have them before the baby is born but I know that in the 1950-60's, women didn't have their showers until after the baby was born.

I dislike the idea of a shower for each kid. Personally, I view a baby shower as something for the mother-to-be, not necessarily for the baby. You're buying the parents supplies to help out with a child. For subsequent children, I like the idea of diaper showers. I've been invited to showers for second and third babies but I don't go. I do go to diaper showers though.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly