Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off-the-charts unique

Seeing how popularity is such an important factor for many of us on this board I thought this would be a good topic to introduce. So many moms-to-be look up the top baby names each year just to see what names NOT to pick. They want to avoid the top 10, top 50 and in some cases even the top 500 so that their child stands out. However, some moms like me don't want the name to be TOO offbeat and are looking for some type of middle ground. What are your favorite overlooked and underused names?

My favourite "over-looked" names would be...

Vera, Matilda, Leora, Calla, Nola, Elowen, Louisa, Flora, Greta, Willa, Daphne and Maisie

and

Edwin, Winston, Gideon, Simon, Desmond, Arthur, Julian

I think most people (aside from the crazy-creative or the cre8tiv types) are looking for a middle-ground name. Uncommon, yet familiar, unique, but not weird.

I second Vera and Leora! And I don't know the Canadian statistics, but Julian is #53 here in the US. Not exactly "overlooked," much to my chagrin. It's one of my favorites.

I'm okay with some degree of weird myself, but who knows whether I'll feel the same when I'm naming an actual child?

Some of my favorites:

Viola, Cosima, Amaryllis, Beatrix, Isannah, Juniper, Isadora, Mariel, Oriana, Rosalind, Susanna/Susannah, and Sybil/Sibyl

Westley, Ferdinand, Cillian, Ajax, Leander, Azriel, and Orville (My taste in boys' names is a lot more conservative than my taste in girls' names for some reason.)
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Ida, Margot, and Alma are quite underused IMO. And I have a crush on Marcelina at the moment...also pretty obscure.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Mavis! Seriously, how is Mavis not blowing up right now? She's the perfect alternative to Ava, Avery, Maeve, and Madison. Mavis is a sweet, simple, vintage name with a lovely sound, lovely meaning. More people need to use Mavis, d@mn it.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...