Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin227 View Post
    I was watching an episode of A Baby Story this morning and there was a little girl named Jonni (named after her dad, John). What do you think of Jonni for a girl? What middle names would you pair with it?
    I know a girl named Johnni and one of my friend's former mentor was named Johnna...and I know a Jonna myself.

I can't say I partically care for it, but I suppose it could be worse. It's just when you hear "Johnny!!!!", you picture a little boy, and with so many spelling variations that are used nowadays, I would think that Johnni could be/could be mistaken for either a boy or a girl. The boys' nn Johnny honestly sounds sweetly soft itself as well. Could be confusing. That being said, the Johnni I went to school with frequently had problems with teachers/subs taking attendance and automatically looking for a boy to raise his hand. I really think the sentiment behind situations like you mentioned (little girl being named after dad) is sweet, but in this case, I would prefer Johnna/Jonna.

I think that a really feminine or at least an unmistakingly female name would work best as a nn.

Jonni Arabella
    Jonni Mae
    Jonni Michelle
    ....something along those lines perhaps?

"See, it is not enough to leave school and just desire to succeed in this cold, cruel world. Because then you've simply become a part of it. You must also have the desire to change it. And to change it, you'll need your fine mind, and his good heart" ~George Feeny, Boy Meets World

Melbourne, Australia
    Jonni is a gorgeous, fun name for a baby girl! And a lovely way to honour a John

I'd opt for a more feminine middle name maybe something like:
    Jonni Odette
    Jonni Meredith
    Jonni Hazel
    Jonni Alice
    Jonni Patrice
    TTC #1

New York
    Jonni (pronounced Johnny) is not my style for a girl. If I were going to try to honor a John that way, I would use Joni (pronounced Joan- ee) as in Joni Mitchell. That said with Jonni, as with any unisex girls first name, I would use a very feminine middle name. In this case, I would also go with a classic name.

Jonni Elizabeth
    Jonni Catherine
    Jonni Victoria
    Jonni Caroline
    Jonni Elinor
    Gwen Eleanor... Mary Josephine ... Anna Juliet ... Iris Evelyn ... Sage Catherine ** Arlo Grant ... Drew Thomas ... Eli James ... Owen Vincent... Jay Theodore

Xi'An, China
    I know a Jonni, who is in her 70s now. She was also named after her father, and strongly disliked her name. I'm not a fan, as it just isn't even unisex. It'd be a great nn for Joanne, Johanna, etc.
    INTP Anthropologist Living in the centre of China, married to a Persian, and just enjoying a completely unpredictable life

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14

Raphael Kaveh
    Currently stuck on girls

Names I love, but cannot use:

Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Caspar Siavash, Elias Rostam, Simon Kasra
    Valentina Parvaneh, Rosalind Tala, Viola Katayoun

Great Lakes
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    I think there are so many beautiful feminizations of John that Jonni falls waaaay short. It would need a very feminine middle name, IMO.

I prefer Joni (jo-nee) to Jonni, or even many other feminine forms of John!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly