Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    More likely a empty gestational sac was a "blighted ovum", or pregnancy where only one-half the embryo developed normally-- the half that becomes the placenta. Something very, very early, most likely at the moment of conception itself, went awry which does not allow the half that develops into the fetus to form.

Twin pregnancies are high-risk since, basically, the twins can interfere with each other. They can take each others blood supply, interfere with each others growth, prevent each other from turning head-down, you name it. Carrying two babies also puts the mother at higher risk for multiple pregnancy complications. I don't know the statistics on how many twin conceptions result in the delivery of two viable infants, but I am sure it's lower than for singletons.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

My brothers are twins, and when my mom was pregnant with them I read all her books and became interested in the whole twin thing. I seem to recall that her doctor told her there's a higher frequency of conceiving fraternal twins in women nearing menopause. (It was 8 1/2 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details.)

My brothers are identical, though, and were born at (I think) 36 weeks after lots of horrific in-utero complications. Now they're both perfectly healthy second graders and I dote on them. Best of luck with yours!
    Last edited by geeknamezyo; May 4th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    My brothers are twins, and when my mom was pregnant with them I read all her books and became interested in the whole twin thing. I seem to recall that her doctor told her there's a higher frequency of conceiving fraternal twins in women nearing menopause. (It was 8 1/2 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details.)

My brothers are identical, though, and were born at (I think) 36 weeks after lots of horrific in-utero complications. Now they're both perfectly healthy second graders and I dote on them. Best of luck with yours!

Hi geeknamezyo, I think as you approach menopause identical twins increase because your eggs are older and more likely to split. However, my mom (bless her heart) went through menopause VERY early, and did not realize what was going on for a year or more, I think she was like 37 and I'm 33, so I guess it's possible that I am "nearing menopause". And being genetically predisposed to ovulating one egg at a time may make menopause come earlier, because I think it begins when your egg supply gets low, although, I could be wrong about that.

Blade, thanks for the info as always, you are a great wealth of information and have put my mind at ease about the possibility of a third. The ultra-sound tech was muttering to herself about the low likelihood on spontaneous triplets, and just her saying triplets has had me stressed out.