• Ottilie

5 12.82%
  • Ottilia

21 53.85%
  • Otylia

13 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which spelling for this pronunciation?

I thought we were settled with our top three middle name choices for Catherine, but I've recently become rather enamoured with a fourth name: Ottilie. (I appear to be attracted to O names paired with Catherine for some reason.) The catch? I only really like the German pronunciation of the name: Oh-tih-lee-a. So I started looking at some variations and found Ottilia and Otylia, which seem more intuitive to the pronunciation we would want. Otylia also appeals to me because it's the Polish version of the name, and my mother's side of the family is Polish. DH thinks all three of the spellings are fine, so he's no help at all! Of course, I don't think he cares for the name all that much at the moment since he's never heard of it before, but he's agreed to at least think about it for a few days and see if it grows on him.

So which form do you think I should go with, should he agree to put it on the final list?

Catherine Ottilie - I think I like the look of this the best, but again the pronunciation...
    Catherine Ottilia
    Catherine Otylia

And do you like it better than Ophelia, Octavia, or Aurelia?

Thanks!
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, and expecting #2 in September 2014!
    Future Daughters: Catherine "Cate" Ophelia, Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine, Benjamin "Jamie" Marius

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I'd spell it Ottilie. I think it is the most visually appealing.

I much prefer it to Ophelia and Aurelia. Catherine Octavia would be gorgeous.

EDIT: Okay, I'm completely guilty of skimming the text and answering the question at the bottom. Because of your Polish heritage I'm 100% for Otylia now.
    Last edited by thejollyfinch; April 29th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Patricia
    Elias lost July 2012
    not currently expecting

vote on my (relatively) new & ever evolving list:
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9750188

my top combos:
    : Louise Clementine Azalea Kate [Josephine] [Iris] Matilda Kay
    : Harvey Joe

I voted for Ottilia before reading your post about your mother's Polish heritage. I think Catherine Otylia looks the best because the "y" in Otylia breaks the straight line. I love Aurelia and Octavia too but I think the Polish version would be a lovely way to honour your mother's side of the family.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I'm torn between Octavia and Ottilia (actually I prefer Ottilie, but I used to pronounced it as Oh-tih-lee, without the ah ending. And I guess I'm not the only one.)
    I think I like Ottilia more. Octavia sounds perfect with Catherine, and definitely safer. But I know so many Octavia...
    Your 4th option (any variants), on the other hand, sounds beautiful, super cute, whimsical, and rare.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna.
    21 years old name nerd. Finally done with uni.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias

I'm torn between Octavia and Ottilia (actually I prefer Ottilie, but I used to pronounced it as Oh-tih-lee, without the ah ending. And I guess I'm not the only one.)
    I think I like Ottilia more. Octavia sounds perfect with Catherine, and definitely safer. But I know so many Octavia...
    Your 4th option (any variants), on the other hand, sounds beautiful, super cute, whimsical, and rare.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna.
    21 years old name nerd. Finally done with uni.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias