Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Humor me for a moment...

For the past few weeks I've been wondering about Chamomile's suitability as a name. Not as a first name, mind you. I was thinking it would make a sweet middle name to a more modest first.

Maude Chamomile was my initial thought. After 'haunting' me I've decided to add her to my long (maybe) future use list.

What do you think?

Could Chamomile [cam-oh-meel] be a quirky middle name to a modest first name? If you absolutely HAD to use the name, what would you use as a first?

Thanks!
    Last edited by thejollyfinch; May 1st, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    new username @finch

Honestly, I do not think I could use Chamomile even for a middle name, it reminds me of having the chicken pox and having to put chamomile on my pox so I wouldn't scratch them, sorry. I do love the name Maude though!

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker View Post
    Honestly, I do not think I could use Chamomile even for a middle name, it reminds me of having the chicken pox and having to put chamomile on my pox so I wouldn't scratch them, sorry. I do love the name Maude though!
    I get your association. But...I'm thinking you mean calamine lotion.

Thanks!
    new username @finch

I think Maude Chamomile is lovely. Chamomile is pretty and balances out the heavier Maude. It's a very sweet middle. If forced, I'd probably pair it with Rose- a plainer name (and the only one I'm loving at the mo). Rose Camomile is a bit too flower-power though I'm sticking with the Camomile spelling- when I first read the post, I thought I'd always been spelling it wrong but the OED says Chamomile is the N. American spelling so I believe Camomile is British

EDIT: Is it pronounced different over the pond? Just re-read the OP and saw the 'meel' ending. I've always pronounced it with the 'mile' ending

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    I think Maude Chamomile is lovely. Chamomile is pretty and balances out the heavier Maude. It's a very sweet middle. If forced, I'd probably pair it with Rose- a plainer name (and the only one I'm loving at the mo). Rose Camomile is a bit too flower-power though I'm sticking with the Camomile spelling- when I first read the post, I thought I'd always been spelling it wrong but the OED says Chamomile is the N. American spelling so I believe Camomile is British

EDIT: Is it pronounced different over the pond? Just re-read the OP and saw the 'meel' ending. I've always pronounced it with the 'mile' ending
    Here we pronounce it both cam-oh-meel and cam-oh-mile. It's a regional difference. I personally use both pronunciations depending on context and mood. In this situation I was using the pronunciation cam-oh-meel because I felt that it's more conducive to nicknames and thus more of a 'name'.

Camomile is a very pretty spelling and has more of a 'name' feel. I really like it.

Thank you!
    new username @finch