Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    That's a really interesting list! I love that they've banned Ben Hur and Mona Lisa Is there a reason why a lot of English names are forbidden (Alexander, William, Oliver, Isabella, George etc)? Surely it would make sense to include popular names from other countries? I think Denmark are a little more lenient in that respect (they've approved the 5 names I just mentioned).

Also, does anyone know what the rules are when people have a child in a foreign country with these regulations? E.g. if I had a son whilst on holiday in Portugal, would I not be able to name him William? I know I could officially register him as William in the UK afterwards, but it'd be weird having two birth certificates with different names
    I think the approved names are suppose to be Portuguese or adapted to the Portuguese spelling (and Portuguese people should be able to pronounce it easily), so English names would not be allowed - however, James, Brian and Ruby (only for boys) have been approved recently, and they are not Portuguese at all...

In Portugal, children with foreign parents can be named with names that are forbidden in that list. Basically, the government sends a letter asking the Embassy of that foreign country asking "is that an accepted name in your country?" and if the Embassy says it is, then the child may have that "forbidden" name.
    A half-British teacher once told me she wanted to name her son "Alex" (which wasn't accepted at the time), but she gave up because she would have to pay 150 euros for that Embassy request... but I don't know if that payment still exists and/or if it's applied to all countries.

In fact ,despite the fact that is forbidden for Portuguese parents, William is in the 2012 top100, with 34 little boys.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Cr...dHc/edit?pli=1
    Last edited by joana; May 1st, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joana View Post
    In Portugal, children with foreign parents can be named with names that are forbidden in that list. Basically, the government sends a letter asking the Embassy of that foreign country asking "is that an accepted name in your country?" and if the Embassy says it is, then the child may have that "forbidden" name.
    Ahhh that makes sense, though if I had to pay €150 I wouldn't be too happy about it!
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

I don't think there should be naming laws except for certain names [Lucifer] etc.
    Current Favorite Names
    ♀ Denver : Maleficent : Tigerlily : Wednesday
    ♂ Brooklyn : Clyde: : Disney : Elias : Galilee : Juniper

Thanks, Berries! It's quite interesting to hear about naming rules in other countries.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Funny, this made big news in Australia a couple of days ago and I listened to a radio program discussing Australia's naming laws and whether they should be tightened. At the moment, you can call your child anything you want, unless it's deemed offensive or contains unpronouncable symbols. The general consensus from callers to the radio program was that our rules should be tighter! However, I'm not sure about banning Lucifer. Yes, it has bad connotations, but so do a lot of other accepted names.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter