Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Do you think that every country should have a "forbidden baby name list" or would that be too much government control for your comfort level?
    I'd love for there to be a banned names list here.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I'm all for a government ban on ridiculous names! Although, I've heard of children named Lucifer and taught a child named Justis (in Australia). Some people are morons and need to be told the name they wish to call their child is ridiculous!
    Absolutely agree. Let's face it, not all people are intelligent, and I don't think it's fair that the child suffers for that. Ban ridiculous and horrible names.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I'd love for there to be a banned names list here.
    Yup.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Here in Denmark, we have to get the names approved if they're not on the official list of approved names (and I legitimately know people who have had their request denied). I think it's a great idea because some parents are just downright dumb and name their children painstakingly embarrassing names; however, the list of approved names is getting more and more ridiculous because stupid names are being approved (seriously, then what's the point of it?).
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Justice, I would imagine, is banned because it's a title (for a judge).

I think their restrictions are quite sensible. And I don't think it's a question of intelligence but rather whether or not parents can turn their child's fundamental identity into a attention-grabbing statement. I'm sure Full-Stop and the like are actually reasonably well thought-out; the parents just want to make an extreme proclamation of their counter-cultureness or anarchist/nihilist beliefs or something.

There is a strong government tradition, in the US and other countries, of authorities stepping in to parent appropriately when parents fail (even in the case of deeply-held beliefs, like removing a child from their parents' custody to receive chemotherapy or insulin treatment when the religious parents were trying to faith-heal leukemia and Type 1 Diabetes). I think frankly ridiculous names can full under that aegis-- not simply a matter of taste, but a truly unacceptable name that will cause the child lifelong embarrassment and ridicule.

New Zealand's standards seem quite reasonable to me. In the States I have no problem with titular names, but can understand how Commonwealth countries would ban them.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Justice, I would imagine, is banned because it's a title (for a judge).
    Literally just came back to edit my post to say I'd realised why, but you beat me to it!
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier