Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Justice, I would imagine, is banned because it's a title (for a judge).
    Literally just came back to edit my post to say I'd realised why, but you beat me to it!
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

I knew a Justice who was a couple grades below me in school so that one strikes me as kinda weird. But I give the gov't the okay to ban certain names. There's no reason for some poor child to be known as Adolf Hitler or simply 3rd until he's 18 and can change it. That's so unfair to the child.
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    Here in Denmark, we have to get the names approved if they're not on the official list of approved names (and I legitimately know people who have had their request denied). I think it's a great idea because some parents are just downright dumb and name their children painstakingly embarrassing names; however, the list of approved names is getting more and more ridiculous because stupid names are being approved (seriously, then what's the point of it?).
    Here in Portugal the system is the same. The problem here is that the criteria for the (dis)approval is not very clear, and seems to be getting more obscure...

The list is here: http://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_...=1333375560.38 ("Não" stands for forbidden and "Sim" for approved)

Here in the US, we officially can't use accent marks in names (like æ or ë), so I guess that counts as a name regulation. But other than that, the government doesn't care what you name your kid.

Japan has naming laws that are fairly lax- for the most part, you are allowed to name your kid anything you want as long as you choose from a list of kanji characters to make up the name (it's about two thousand characters). Though in the nineties someone there tried to name their child Akuma (which is the devil) and it was rejected, and several people raised a ruckus over a family trying to name their son Pikachu (though you can't get more international than that ). I can't remember off the top of my head if it was allowed, though.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by joana View Post
    Here in Portugal the system is the same. The problem here is that the criteria for the (dis)approval is not very clear, and seems to be getting more obscure...

The list is here: http://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_...=1333375560.38 ("Não" stands for forbidden and "Sim" for approved)
    That's a really interesting list! I love that they've banned Ben Hur and Mona Lisa Is there a reason why a lot of English names are forbidden (Alexander, William, Oliver, Isabella, George etc)? Surely it would make sense to include popular names from other countries? I think Denmark are a little more lenient in that respect (they've approved the 5 names I just mentioned).

Also, does anyone know what the rules are when people have a child in a foreign country with these regulations? E.g. if I had a son whilst on holiday in Portugal, would I not be able to name him William? I know I could officially register him as William in the UK afterwards, but it'd be weird having two birth certificates with different names, if that's even possible
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon