Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If you saw this name in a book...

Would you know how to pronounce it? She's only a minor character, in it for less than a chapter, but as I'm getting close to submission with this one I'm being a little wary of the name. In the UK it's pretty popular, but should the book get picked up I'm conscious of the fact I could have readers from absolutely anywhere, thanks to Kindle making books even more universal than before.

The name: Niamh.

It just feels like it suits her perfectly, but I'm concerned about whether I'll get readers going 'Nee-amh? What sort of name is that?' when she's mentioned.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the people I know wouldn't pronounce it correctly, but she's in your book for less than a chapter, so it's not a big deal. If you ever do have a character with a name that's not easily pronounced, you can take care of that with mentioning it. Have the character vent about their name, or someone stumble over it and they correct them.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

being from the USA, i would think it was pronounced Nee-um, but since it is a book saying it isnt as important as reconizing the letters, and since she's a minor character it isn't much of a problem. Good luck!
    Right Now I would name them...
    ∆ Ellis Apollo • Vesper Aurelia ∆

∆ Casper Aloysius • Reverie Antonia ∆

Guilty Pleasures ...

Sailor . Waverly . Ever . Harlow . Elliot . Jasper . Lirit . Muse . Egypt . Ireland . Primrose . Calypso . Rowan

Neeve. Cos that's what it says
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I would definitely say NEEV when I saw it...but I know a few people with this name. And I'm in England also, so sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck though (I love Niamh by the way)