Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by malk View Post
    My daughter has 2 middle names and a double-barrelled 4 syllable surname. It has never caused any problems and we've never not had enough room for the names. This baby will also have 2 middles with the d-b surname. We do lean towards shorter names so that helps. As long as it flows I don't have a problem with it.
    This was so helpful. I very much appreciate your input as someone with experience in this area. Thank you!
    Current Favorites:

Elliott, Luke, Matthew, Oliver, Reid, Wyatt

Alice, Celia, Charlotte, Claire, Elisabeth, Genevieve, Holly, Matilda, Poppy, Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfmama View Post
    I don't think it's too many names, actually, especially if the names have significant meaning or a tradition attached to it. I actually think it's quite lovely and attaches a family history to the child through the name. And, in normal, everyday life, the child will be known by first name and simple hyphenated last name. I think it's worse to cut the child out from the family naming tradition simply because he or she has a (rather easy) hyphenated last name.
    Thank you for your insight. You made a good point about only the first and last name being used regularly. I had not considered that.
    Current Favorites:

Elliott, Luke, Matthew, Oliver, Reid, Wyatt

Alice, Celia, Charlotte, Claire, Elisabeth, Genevieve, Holly, Matilda, Poppy, Scarlett

Is definitely a cultural question. Here in my country I'd say the most usual combination is "1stName MiddleName MomSurname DadSurname", but some people have 4 surnames! (and, in extremis, they might get two more when they get married...). Unless you think the child will struggle with forms and that knid of stuff, go fot it - and yes, in real life he/she will be known by the 1st and last name.

If I were you, I would stick with the second middle name tradition. The fact of the matter is, you really won't be using it too often, and it's important to your significant other. On that note, I would recommend using a shorter firstname. The more syllables you have jammed into one name, the sloppier it sounds.

I also think it's really kind of you to be putting so much thought and effort into this! It shows that you care about your partner so much.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by hydrangea; May 2nd, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: World's Worst Speller

I'm starting to get hesitant about using two middle names, as planned, for my own child, particularly if we hyphenate or somehow incorporate my last name as well.

However, in this case, I'd definitely use the two middles to stick with tradition. It's a lot more charming if it's a family thing and for a reason instead of someone just sticking their kid with 5 names because they want to.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13