Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My daughter has 2 middle names and a double-barrelled 4 syllable surname. It has never caused any problems and we've never not had enough room for the names. This baby will also have 2 middles with the d-b surname. We do lean towards shorter names so that helps. As long as it flows I don't have a problem with it.
    Mum to Mousie, Foo, Bumptious and Pudding.

As someone with a long first name, Alexandra and two mn's Sophie M____ and a three syllable last name I can say it doesn't feel super long or cumbersome. Both my mn's are two syllables long. It might feel a little unconventional right now but I'd mull it over with a few combos for a while and see how it sits. My cousin has the same LN as me and both his daughters have two middle names in a 4/3-3-3/2-3 pattern and it totally works.

(Upside to a hyphenated last name is that the 3 letter monogram problem goes away. Something at always mildly bothered me.)
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I honestly think one middle name is enough. I'd shorten the last name to just one name, too, instead of hyphenating it.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

Here's what I'd do:

Firstname Mary Lastname-Lastname for a girl
    Firstname Joseph Lastname-Lastname for a boy

That way you keep the Mary/Joseph tradition going in a modified form and pare the whole thing down to four names rather than five.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

I don't think it's too many names, actually, especially if the names have significant meaning or a tradition attached to it. I think it's quite lovely and attaches a family history to the child through the name. And, in normal, everyday life, the child will be known by first name and simple hyphenated last name. I think it's worse to cut the child out from the family naming tradition simply because he or she has a (rather easy) hyphenated last name.
    Last edited by sdsurfmama; May 3rd, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau