Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elwood

Elwood

Ok, here's the story. My husband brought up this name (Elwood) a couple months ago after we found out we are having a boy. I immediately dismissed it for being too.....I don't remember anymore, just too "not right." Fast forward to about two weeks ago and my younger brother suggested the name and said he had a friend named Elwood. I gave it a second thought, and I don't dislike the name, I actually kind of like it. The name stands well on its own or could be shortened to El or Woody (or even Eli). It is unusual (not in the top 1000), but not "weird." So, I start mentioning it to people. When I mention it to most men my age (early 30's) and older they say, "Awesome name! Like the Blues Brothers!" But, when I mention it to most women, they make a face and warn me about playground teasing because of the "wood" aspect of the name. So, my question for you thoughtful and insightful berries is; is this a good unusual name, or would I be setting my son up for a tortured adolescence of being teased because of his name? I am not emotionally attached to this name, so be as honest as you want!

I actually really like Elwood! I think it's handsome and unusal in a good way. If your son did end up being teased for being named Elwood when he's little, he could go by El or Eli and then the "wood" part of the name is gone. Maybe there's a reason that this name keeps coming back to you.
    Louie ¤ Clement ¤ Malcolm ¤ Ralph
    Sylvie ¤ Hermione ¤ Benedita ¤ Freya

I'm not a fan but I do this it's quite handsome, however I think he will probably want to use a middle name and not the whole thing.

Thanks for the input! More opinions please!!!
    Mom to Matilda Ann
    Expecting a boy on June 9th!!

I do kinda like it, the "wood" part is prominent but I don'think you will be setting your son up by using Elwood. It could also be a nickname for something like Elias Woodrow maybe?
    Dayton.19.*Hopeful* Future Mom
    Naming future twinkles...
    Girlies:Aella Dorothy Plum.Judah Eilidh Catherine.Snow Amalija Anne
    Guys:Amias Calico "Mia".Eden Trust