Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile is river too hippy for our family?

Hi Berries!
    5 weeks till my due date and we're still along way from deciding on a name!
    This is baby number 4, sibling to Eloise, Jude and iris and I've recently started mulling over River if baby is a girl- - do you think its sounds a bit odd with our other kids names? I'm not overly bothered about a matching sibset but I would like them to be vaguely similar!
    Other names that are in the running are
    Pearl ( was my favourite but I feel like compared to the laid back feel of River, Pearl is fussy and not very fun sounding!)
    Celeste (a bit too posh for us perhaps)
    Elsa
    Fleur
    Indigo (like River, is it too hippyish?
    Any other suggestions happily considered!
    Thankyou
    )

I'd have expected River in your sibset to be a boy - your girls have more distinctly feminine names. If you love it then go for it. But if you're thinking of fresh, nature-y names that aren't too out there, what about

Autumn
    Coral
    Fawn
    Hazel
    Ivy
    Jade
    Luna
    Olive
    Opal
    Sage
    Sienna
    Summer
    Willow
    Zinnia

That's really interesting- I do like River for a boy but it does sound slightly feminine to my ears but perhaps one to consider ( we haven't agreed on a boys name yet either!)
    I love a lot of the names on your list but have discounted a lot of them - baby is due in June so don't feel like we could get away with autumn! Our surname is carter so coral carter is out! My name is hazel ivy feels too similar to iris, sienna, summer and willow are all a bit to popular here (UK) but you definitely get my style!
    Thank you

I don't think River is too "hippy" for your family but if I saw Eloise, Jude, Iris, and River, I would think River was a boy. Eloise and Iris are so feminine and Jude and River are very masculine to me.

From your list, I love Pearl. It fits into your sibset nicely.
    Celeste is nice too and I don't think it's any more posh than Eloise.
    Elsa is a bit close to Eloise.
    Fleur would fit too but it's not a favorite of mine.
    Indigo is ok but i'm not loving it with your other children's names. I wouldn't know if Indigo was a boy or girl.

Suggestions:
    Camille
    Hazel
    Margo
    Corinne
    Flora
    Miriam
    Marina
    Daphne
    Justine
    Verity

Like most nature names, River is unisex, but it is more commonly used on boys and it definitely comes across as one of the more masculine nature names. Since your other two daughters have very feminine names, it seems odd to give one a masculine name. That being said, I do love River on a boy. I love nature names and it is not too hippy imo. Rainbow Springflower would be too hippy! lol

I agree with pp, about Indigo not fitting the sibset and being ambiguous. Fleur is lovely, but seems kind of silly next to a sister named Iris. Fleur means flower and Iris is a flower. Celeste would fit well with the sibset. I don't consider it posh.

I would suggest:

Delphine
    Helena
    Summer
    Autumn (you can have an Autumn born in June)
    Margaret/Marguerite/Margo/Margaux
    Sierra
    Wren
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!