Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Since I'm a Doctor Who fan I don't hate it, but I do think Clara or even Amelia would be a much better choice.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

I have to admit when we first met Oswin (on Doctor Who), the wheels turned in my head and I thought, "I wonder if that would work on a real girl?" I'm not sure yet. It's definitely tied to the character at this point, but then, depending on where you live, Doctor Who isn't exactly mainstream (although far from unknown!). There's some good stuff in the name: cute nn potential (Oz, Ozzy, Win, Winnie); it follows trend (surname); and it's not an ugly sounding name (although that is subjective of course-- I don't find it ugly).

I think there are lots of better names out there, however. I like a lot of -win, -wen, -wyn names, and there's lots out there. Winter, Bronwen, Gwendolyn, Elowen, Winona, Winifred, Wynne, Arwen, Aeronwen, Gwyneth, Ceridwen. I find all of those much prettier than Oswin. At the moment, I can't think of another name with the Oz sound in it (other than Ozma), but it's a cute, spunky sound.

As for Clara, so far my boyfriend and I aren't fans. Oswin and Victorian Clara were infinitely more interesting than Clara Oswald is. She's so boring. The only hook she has is her mystery, but as a character she's completely flat, except when she makes her save the day speeches or flies in to rescue the Doctor; by my count she's saved the day every single episode. Really?? I was excited about her, too. I haven't given up, but I'm growing frustrated.

If the appeal of the name is tied into the character, I really think there are far better companions as a namesake. Or even Idris!
    Artemis Willow ☀ Cordelia Avalon ☀ Isabeau Forest ☀ Isadora Nightingale ☀ Lorelei Ondine ☀ Lyra Snow ☀ Pandora Everild ☀ Tabitha Eilonwy ☀ Thisbe Wildrose ☀ Thora Silmarien
    Caspian Wilder ☀ Conrad Elessar ☀ Damian Sparrow ☀ Desmond Thorn ☀ Evander Hart ☀ Everett Ward ☀ Gwydion Alaric ☀ Malachi Bjorn ☀ Peregrine Llyr ☀ Theodore Winter

writing a novel and preparing for the baby making
    our two furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Quote Originally Posted by shellezbellez View Post
    I think the Mary Sue bit is lulling us into a false sense of security. Something is up with this one. Something sketchy. I don't think she's like Amy, though. I think she's pretty timid in comparison to Amy, and really in comparison to any of the others.
    I agree, there's something up that we don't know yet. I don't think we've seen enough of her to know if she's really a Mary Sue. She definitely has a very different temperament to Amy. The Doctor is just so strangely interested in her--and I can't imagine he's that interested and she ends up just being a boring chick who is unknowningly being reborn. So far she is a bit flat, but I'm still holding back my judgement.
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    IAs for Clara, so far my boyfriend and I aren't fans. Oswin and Victorian Clara were infinitely more interesting than Clara Oswald is. She's so boring. The only hook she has is her mystery, but as a character she's completely flat, except when she makes her save the day speeches or flies in to rescue the Doctor; by my count she's saved the day every single episode. Really??
    Yes. This. So much. Except that I don't even find her mysterious in the slightest. We don't know enough about her to find her mysterious. That leaf thing COULD have been interesting but they got rid of it after half an hour... *sigh* After the River Song mess all I'm expecting another really, really complicated and daft 'reveal' "-_-

At the end of the day I just want a companion who:

1. Isn't a girl from modern day London. (Donna, Martha, Clara, Rose)
    2. Doesn't talk at the speed of light. (Amy, Clara)
    3. Isn't in love with the Doctor. (Rose, Martha, Amy *in friendship format, so not soooo bad*)
    Last edited by renrose; May 1st, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    1. Isn't a girl from modern day London. (Donna, Martha, Clara, Rose)
    2. Doesn't talk at the speed of light. (Amy, Clara)
    3. Isn't in love with the Doctor. (Rose, Martha, Amy *in friendship format, so not soooo bad*)
    1. I think they do that so we have a sort of link to the modern world and so they can make jokes about the Doctor not understanding modern life. I agree that it would be interesting to change it up--some of the old doctor's companions weren't 20th century Brit's so it can work, but I doubt they'll ever do it.

2. With how short the shows are now it's almost a requirement. I was watching an OLD episode and was amazed at how long and slow it was. The current episodes feel like they're not much more than 30 minutes!

3. This is one of things I liked about both Amy and Donna. Rose was a great companion but it gets wearing for every single companion to be like that. So far it doesn't seem like Clara has any real love/adoration for him. I hope they keep it that way.
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas