Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ah, I was hoping Blade would weigh in. I have no clue (I've been off birth control for 7 years - had to go off for surgery never bothered to go back on and use alternatives instead. I'd probably buy condoms and use those until you are off of your prescription meds. I like Durex best (Trojans smell funny to me) and if you get them at Wallmart you can get them cheaper (per unit) than at most grocery stores. Inconvenient yes, but think of it as an act of love for your future family esp since you are on a (what's the word blade used) teratogen. (Also this will allow you to go through multiple cycles and chart yourself - if you are so inclined - without hormone meds.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

I remember reading something about how it could take as long as 2 years after going off birth control for you to become pregnant since it takes awhile for your body to go back to normal. I believe you can start trying as soon as you want, but it might take awhile before you actually become pregnant. I'm also sure that it varies depending on what birth control you are using, to get the best answers, I recommend calling your doctor and asking him or her.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Nathaniel

Pinterest | Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Thank you ladies so much for these responses it is helping out alot! I have also happy nameberry is not being difficult anymore. Did any of you other berries have trouble getting on here once they made the change??

@sarahmezz, I think it is perfectly fine to prepare before hand. I actually have found folic acid which is an organic all natural brand. I definitley will consult my doctor before. I want to make sure I am fully off of those and it is out of my system since the meds I am on can cause serious birth defects. I appreciate the information and the website. I will take any information I can get since I am trying for the first time.
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    Ah, I was hoping Blade would weigh in. I have no clue (I've been off birth control for 7 years - had to go off for surgery never bothered to go back on and use alternatives instead. I'd probably buy condoms and use those until you are off of your prescription meds. I like Durex best (Trojans smell funny to me) and if you get them at Wallmart you can get them cheaper (per unit) than at most grocery stores. Inconvenient yes, but think of it as an act of love for your future family esp since you are on a (what's the word blade used) teratogen. (Also this will allow you to go through multiple cycles and chart yourself - if you are so inclined - without hormone meds.
    I have tried using them before but I am allergic to latex or something. Every time my boyfriend and I have used condoms I would get a UTI and end up in the hospital. I have no idea why that happens. I would use the bathroom before and after and still would get one. I was using Durex but that one did not work either, so the whole process became fearful that is why I went on BC but now since I am off of it and on prescription meds I am not even engaging in sex because I refuse to chance subjecting my child to something that could effect their development.
    TTC #1

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    You can start trying right away. There is usually a 'washout period' after stopping hormonal birth control when you're infertile, or subfertile, but there is no contraindication to trying to get pregnant immediately.

Depending on what your prescription medication is, however-- you mentioned it's well-known to cause birth defects-- I would *not* stop taking birth control until you have a plan in place with whomever is prescribing your medication to transition you to something else. Do **not** try to get pregnant while taking something that is a known teratogen (causes birth defects).

Buy a standard, cheap, generic prenatal vitamin. Do not spend a lot of money or anxiety on it. Pregnant women need extra iron, folic acid and calcium-- that's it. The PNV packages this all into one. The standard pregnant woman who is at no increased risk for neural tube defects (spina bifida, mainly) needs only 400ug/day; if you are at an increased risk-- again, this depends on your prescription medication-- needs 4mg/day, or 10x as much.
    Do you suggest I wait to get off my prescribed medication before even taking Folic Acid or it does not matter? I am on Lexapro and my own doctor has even told me that I would need to be weened off of it before trying to get pregnant. The folic acid brand I heard was great is Standard Process, have you heard of that brand? Or do you suggest another brand?
    TTC #1