Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    @sarahmezz thank you! It is great advice since you are already off the pill.

I definitely want to be as healthy as possible. And I also am on prescription medication I want to be fully off of before having a child since it can cause birth defects. I have never heard of folic acid before, is that under the same category as prenatal vitamins or can anyone have this part of their diet?

It is nice to know the steps to take to ensure I am the healthiest which is better for the baby of course.

This is all so new, scary, and exciting all at the same time!
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

ALSO I am 23 and 110lbs, what dose of Folic Acid do you suggest? I was reading online and it said any woman considering pregnancy: 200μg plus a folate supplement containing 400μg
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

Here is a recent thread about folic acid: http://nameberry.com/nametalk/threads/124841-Folic-Acid

Folic acid is in prenatal vitamins and most multivitamins, as well as in many veggies (the thread I posted mentions which ones are good sources). If you are eating healthy, chances are you are getting enough of it. I believe the recommendations is 400 mcg for women of childbearing age but I could be wrong, and most prenatal vitamins have 1000 mcg (1 mg). You generally want to be taking folic acid before you get pregnant and through the first trimester for sure, since it is supposed to prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida. These problems can occur early enough in pregnancy that women don't know they're pregnant yet, so that is why it is a good idea to start taking it when you start to TTC or even earlier.

I would suggest going to the doctor for a preconception visit if you haven't yet. They will talk to you about your prescription medication, prenatal vitamins, healthy living, etc. It is very responsible of you to want to be prepared and healthy in advance! (As jemama said, many pregnancies are unplanned and those babies turn out fine, but it is nice to do some prep work if you have the time! )

Hormonal BC may cause a woman's folic acid levels to drop. As far as I know, there isn't a definitive link, but it can't hurt to be cautious. Since you should discuss going off your meds with your doctor, bring it up prenatal vitamin at the next appointment.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper