Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stopped taking BC....when can we start TTC?

Hi Berries,
    My boyfriend and I have been discussing when we would like to try to have a baby this year. I would like to try this spring so we end up having him or her in Feb. But I only stopped my BC about two weeks ago. How long do we have to wait till we can start trying? And at what time is best to try? I hear a lot about watching your cycle. This is all new and exciting for me. I have been doing research but would love to hear your opinions and what you berries have gone through. Thank you!
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

Hi Scarlett, so I'm probably not the best person to answer your question since I'm still on bc, but my plan is to wait at least one cycle (so wait until after AF comes once) before I start actively trying. Just so if I happen to get pregnant right away, I will be able to date the pregnancy easier. Also, I want to make sure I've been taking enough folic acid for a little while before too.

I think if you are healthy and under 35, just doing it every other day (if you can!) is a pretty good plan. If you are interested in more information about knowing your body, there is a highly recommended book (that I will eventually buy but haven't yet) called Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

You can also join the TTC 2013 thread, where you will hear about lots of women's experiences with TTC!

Good luck!
    Last edited by andieta; April 30th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

I stopped taking the pill in January in preparation for TTC in April. I had three cycles before TTC. I've heard it's best to have a few cycles off the pill before TTC, but I think it's highly unlikely your baby will be negatively affected if you go off the pill and get pregnant straight away. I'm not sure about other forms of birth control.
    TTC #1

Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I was actually taking the bc pill when I became pregnant with our oldest.....a lovely surprise of course but he turned out healthy and fine. However, I do think that most drs will recommend preparing your body to be as healthy as it can be before ttc, taking folic acid, being a healthy weight, eating and drinking right (meaning, do not live off cheetos and beer), stopping certain prescription meds/smoking etc or what not...But even so, you do not *need* to do these things before getting pregnant (as a large percentage of babies are "unplanned" by people doing all those things I mentioned), but, if you are knowing you are ttc it is probably good to try to "get healthy' in whatever way that means to you.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

@andieta Do you always have to take folic acid before TTC and do you take this during pregnancy as well? I want to make sure I am fully prepared before.